Looking for a Light, High End, Gaming Laptop

serieuxse

Estimable
Mar 11, 2014
I have been searching around these forums and I have only seen really old threads of the same topic (most were posted on 2015). So I thought I'd bring it up again now that there are better laptop parts out.

I will be traveling a lot for the next few months so I have decided that I will buy a beefy yet light gaming laptop. This will be my first ever gaming laptop. I have only gamed seriously on my first desktop (which I bought on 2014).

So far, only this laptop interests me. The New Razer Blade used to be in the list but it seemed too expensive for its specs (~$2000 for a GTX 1060).

iBuyPower 15.6'' ASUS ROG GL502VS-DS71 My thoughts on the laptop are in the spoiler below.
This seems like the perfect laptop for me. Everything about the components is perfect plus it has a 120 hz G-Sync display! I just need words from people who have owned this particular laptop because, in my opinion, this laptop is too much of a deal breaker for the manufacturer. I feel like, there should be a twist in the quality of the product for the price because you get an i7, 16GB, GTX 1070 VR Ready machine, with a 120hz G-Sync display for $1699! I'm pretty sure that you can't get a brand new i7 GTX 1070 desktop+144hz monitor within the same price range. You will pretty much need at least $2100 for that i7 GTX 1070 desktop+144hz monitor. Although desktops are much more customizable than laptops but I do not think that customizability is worth $400. Anyway, I still want more laptops to consider buying.
Pretty much the things I will do with the laptop are: (1) play games at 1080p on any settings (Even on low settings! The Witcher 3 will probably be the most graphics intense game I'll play), (2) livestream games like League of Legends on at least 720p, (3) record videos at 1080p, (4) watch a lot of videos/movies on, and (5) edit videos on.

I would like more laptop recommendations. Help me open my eyes more to the GTX 10 series and the world of gaming laptops. Because I'm pretty sure I'm still stuck at that year when laptops would never beat a desktop when it comes to price per performance.

Thank you!

Also can you guys compare my current desktop to the ASUS laptop? I want to see how much pc parts have changed over the years.
Desktop Specs:
Bought on March 2014

CPU: Intel i5-4570
Mobo: MSI z87-g45 Gaming (I don't think this is relevant when comparing although.)
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 2x4GB DDR3 1600MHz
Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Blue
GPU: ASUS GTX 770 DirectCU II -> broke after 1 year and Upgraded to MSI GTX 970 4g
PSU: FSP Aurum S 600w -> broke after 1 year and replaced w/ Raider 550w 80+ Silver (irrelevant)
Cooler: Intel stock cooler

I'm pretty sure my desktop including the upgrades and peripherals I purchased cost me at most $2000. I remember spending ~$1000 for the desktop, ~$150 for the monitor, ~$450 for the GTX 970 upgrade, ~$300 on peripherals (Mechanical keyboard, Gaming mouse, Gaming headset)

misssmith11

Editor
Herald
Feb 4, 2014
How much are you looking to spend? How light would you like it to be?