Looking for a light laptop for university and gaming

CRITICALThinker

Honorable
Feb 2, 2014
I have decided that it is time to upgrade my 5 year old 15" ASUS laptop, as it no longer (and has not for a while) meets my needs. I replaced the battery once already, but frankly the i3-380mis no longer efficient... That and the hard drive is getting slow and noisy.

1. What is your budget?
Undecided right now, but $700 seems to be a good cap if this is only to hold for 2-3 years before I get a proper gaming laptop.
2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
I am a big fan of 15", but 14 and 13.3 are acceptable too (14 seems to be pretty good)
3. What screen resolution do you want?
I am not picky, I have yet to have a computer with a full HD screen
4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Portable
5. How much battery life do you need?
It would be nice to have 4-5 hours web browsing
6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
Playable, low or medium
7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
I am going into engineering, so I have no idea what I need for that, but nothing intense
8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
500+ GB, I was running at the end of my 150+120 drive(partitioned)
9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
www.memoryexpress.com, www.staples.ca, www.bestbuy.ca. possibly newegg
10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
Till it falls over dead, probably 5 years like my last one, but it will get a substitute at some point.
11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
I would love an optical drive, but it is not essential, even if there is an empty bay for it.
12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
I am open to most brands, but I am not a big fan of HP, because I have never seen a notebook from them aside from business that works properly. EDIT: also would like to stay far away from Toshiba, as I haven't seen a good laptop from them since very early core days.
13. What country do you live in?
Canada
14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
I have found this notebook for 670, and aside from a smaller battery, looks really good for the price. http://www.acer.ca/ac/en/CA/content/model/NX.MXXAA.001
It also looks as if it has a place for an optical drive. :p

Solution
If you are not doing anything intensive then this laptop is very good. This assumes that you are not doing anything that is cpu intense as it is a ulv chip. For gaming it is not the best but good for you budget.

CRITICALThinker

Honorable
Feb 2, 2014
Coming from this brick - http://www.amazon.com/A52F-XA3-15-6-Inch-Versatile-Entertainment-Laptop/dp/B004RCNS4M/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top , I think it will serve me well, I plan to get a quad core chip later down the road as a base to a proper gaming laptop, probably in the timeframe of 2-4 years, budget permitting