Solved! Looking for a new laptop for university and light gaming. (700$ budget)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moleg1

Estimable
Oct 27, 2015
I'm going to be starting college within the next month. I will be in dorms and will have my main rig there with me, but I think having a laptop to move around with will be nice. I can never bring myself to purchase a laptop without a dedicated GPU, shame on me. I was looking for a laptop that can moderately play games and also be used for mobility. I am heavily swayed by battery life and by heat, meaning some netflix not at a desk would be great. I hated the fact that my last laptop couldn't be used at anything but a desk. (i7 3630QM and a 650M... I wonder how that happened XD) Therefore I am not really looking to spend on a 1050 due to its increased wattage on both the 1050 and the quad cores that come with it.

I found the new Acer laptop with the MX150 and the I5 7200U, I know both of those are very low wattage and seem to tick every box for me. Just wanted to get some second opinions on the build quality and the cooling. As well, I have heard some odd things about acer in the long run, anyone know anything about this? Thanks!

tl;dr looking for a laptop with good cooling and good quality but somewhat powerful.

Solution

It is a pretty new laptop and to the best of my knowledge it is not being sold anywhere yet as far as I can tell. But it is suppose to sell for $600 when it is actually released.

Having said that, the MX150 is the equivalent to the GTX 1030 GPU used for desktops. Yes, the MX150 is a low power GPU (I think it is 25w) and it is the successor to the 940mx. The MX150's performance is between the GTX 950m and GTX...

geofelt

Distinguished
Can you post the make/model of the candidate laptop?

Do you have a budget?

If you are going to lug around a laptop to classes and such, it ought to be light.

Look into the Lenovo X1 carbon. OOPS! I don't think you can get a X1 for that.
See if you can't find a Lenovo T460S at a price you like.
Do not worry about integrated graphics. you can even play some games on it.

It is a pretty new laptop and to the best of my knowledge it is not being sold anywhere yet as far as I can tell. But it is suppose to sell for $600 when it is actually released.

Having said that, the MX150 is the equivalent to the GTX 1030 GPU used for desktops. Yes, the MX150 is a low power GPU (I think it is 25w) and it is the successor to the 940mx. The MX150's performance is between the GTX 950m and GTX 960m based on benchmark results; closer to the GTX 960m. Below is a link to a review of the Acer Aspire 5 with the i5-7200u and MX150.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Acer-Aspire-5-A515-51G-7200U-MX150-FHD-Laptop-Review.240090.0.html

Solution

Moleg1

Estimable
Oct 27, 2015

Sorry for my late response. My email never notified of me replies!

This is the link to the laptop I'm speaking of

http://www.microcenter.com/product/481303/Aspire_5_A515-51G-52R1_156_Laptop_Computer_-_Black

Moleg1

Estimable
Oct 27, 2015

Interesting, I've never seen this option before. How does it fair with cooling etc when not used at a desk?

Moleg1

Estimable
Oct 27, 2015

Hmm the specs are great for the price, but when I looked online, many reviewers said that some models, if not all, had some cooling issues with throttling occurring.

http://www.ultrabookreview.com/16445-acer-nitro-5-review/

I wouldn't call ultrabookreview very reliable but that's just one of the few.

Status
Not open for further replies.