Looking for a Nice Gaming/Music headset.

DeadWithoutWifi

Estimable
Feb 28, 2015
i am looking for a new headset for my PC,

the first headset i ever had was the Turtle beach x12, i used it with my xbox 360 and really liked them, then i Built a PC and got the Plantronics Rig which are SOOOOOOO much more confortable and better sounding, but now they are starting to malfunction in lots of different ways so i am looking into a new headset.

i am going to be using these with my PC for Gaming and music; i really liked how the rig had a mixer, i thought that was cool but it is not a must. i am fine with the headset plugging in via usb instead of a 3.5mm male plug, the only musts for the headset is they have to be really comfortable and sound great when listening to music, i will get a modmic if the headset doesnot come with a mic. it would also be nice if it was 7.1 channel surround. extra things that would be cool is: it comes withg a built in mic, and it has a audio controller. and lastly my budget is 100-200$(max including tax although i dont want to spend more then 170$) also, if it is one of those headsets that comes with like 7 plugs for surround, factoring a PCIe x1 sound card into the budget would be okay. (i have a MSI gaming 5 mobo)

the headsets i have my eye on at the moment are the Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma Sound USB, SteelSeries Siberia Elite Prism, and the Sennheiser PC 363D (even though it is out of my budget i will find it for cheaper somewhere)

Solution
if you want quality, you want to stay away from "gaming headsets" other than the ones by sennheiser, audiotechnica or beyerdynamic. the rest are generally junk in comparison. this is because the aforementioned companies actually have headphone lineups that the headsets are based on which are quality studio reference material.

if you want 5.1/7.1 i'd say use virtual. if your onboard sound does not have it, get a soundcard.

if you want the best "3d" soundstaging and the most advantage in fps gaming (but are okay with not having any real bass depth.. only some punchy mid bass) the ad500x or ad700x would be a good choice. lightweight design although not everyone cares for it. a xonar dg or other soundcard of your choice should power them...
if you want quality, you want to stay away from "gaming headsets" other than the ones by sennheiser, audiotechnica or beyerdynamic. the rest are generally junk in comparison. this is because the aforementioned companies actually have headphone lineups that the headsets are based on which are quality studio reference material.

if you want 5.1/7.1 i'd say use virtual. if your onboard sound does not have it, get a soundcard.

if you want the best "3d" soundstaging and the most advantage in fps gaming (but are okay with not having any real bass depth.. only some punchy mid bass) the ad500x or ad700x would be a good choice. lightweight design although not everyone cares for it. a xonar dg or other soundcard of your choice should power them fine. you may even be able to get away with your onboard.

if you want something a bit more laid back and easy listening with moderately good stats all around i'd recommend the hd518/558/598 lineup. the game one is based on the 598. the pc363 is actually based on the old 555/595 (which is fairly bass light compared to the 598 so do not expect much kick if you went with the 363d). a xonar dg or soundcard of your choice should power them fine. your onboard is questionable but should be able to handle them.

if you wanted "closed" headphones to isolate yourself from outside noise at the expense of a smaller soundstage the beyer dt770 arent a bad choice. bassy headphones (but not bass cannons) with a good soundstage for closed cans (though open designs can be wider) with good overall quality and great comfort. you'll want at least a xonar dg to power them or external amp.

Solution

DeadWithoutWifi

Estimable
Feb 28, 2015

Thank you, i love your suggestions!

DeadWithoutWifi

Estimable
Feb 28, 2015

i think i am going to get the Sennheiser HD 518 or the Audio Technica AUD ATHAD500X. also the asus xonar dg looks good but it uses a PCI interface whereas newer motherboards only support PCIe, would this model work also?