Looking for a reliable, media/moderate gaming Laptop with Metal Body and more...

themind420

Commendable
Oct 28, 2016
Laptop around $1000 needed, must include:

Full HD 1080p screen with decent contrast and clarity - touch would be nice for a nice price.

Metal Chassis, as little plastic as possible..

15 in screen, not bulky, preferred less than 5lbs if possible.

Decent dedicated graphics card with own memory 4gb prefer, as I prefer not to have an integrated intel graphics card..

Processor should be decent, either a good AMD A12 or higher, or Core i5 quad core or i7 quad core.

And must be of a brand of excellent quality that provides good warranty service in Western Canada..

I'm drawn to laptops like the Dell Inspiron 15 7000, and whatever ASUS falls equivalent to that. I wish I could afford the Dell XPS 15, that thing is awesome. So something along those lines?

I'd rather avoid Acer, Lenovo, HP, and such..

Appreciate any responses!

Thanks!

Nah... the Dell XPS 15 is definitely beyond his budget. He stated is in Western Canada.

The Dell XPS 15 with the GTX 960m cost $1,600 CAD.

Unfortunately, $1,000 CAD for a laptop with metal chassis and a dedicated GPU (even with a nivida 940m / 940mx) is likely out of your price range.

themind420

Commendable
Oct 28, 2016

That is unfortunate. Closest thing would be the Dell Inspiron 15in 7000, but it has an integrated intel graphics card, not what I'd prefer.. Also, there's the Dell Gaming Series Inspiron, which has the a decent card, but it's a bendy plastic chassis, which is frankly weird -- why wouldn't Dell make a metal Gaming version of the Inspiron? Why make it plastic? (tsk tsk Dell!)

I'm also interested in laptops with longer manufacturing warranty, usually denoting a good product -- but Dell has been pretty decent with their reputation for durability and reliability eh?

Although, if anyone can point out any metal or plastic alternatives? Like magnesium alloys or carbon fiber stuff?

I mean, the Dell 15in 7000 metal chassis, seems like a nice comp..would it be possible to upgrade the graphics chip later?

Magnesium alloy chassis are more expensive than aluminium chassis and carbon fiber is even more expensive. They are used in high end laptops.

The Dell XPS 15 is more or less the equivalent of the Dell Inspiron 15 with a metal chassis. The Inspiron is Dell's consumer level laptop. The XPS line is Dell's premium laptop line and it's that series which would have a metal chassis.

For the most part, dedicated graphics in the vast majority of laptops are soldered into the motherboard. There are only specific gaming laptop models with upgradable GPUs. They generally cost as least $1,400 USD, but as I stated, it depends on the specific laptop model because even a $2,500 USD laptop can have a GPU that is soldered into the motherboard.

themind420

Commendable
Oct 28, 2016

I believe Dell's 15in Inspiron 7000 has a metal aluminum chassis.. Dell's gaming-version of the Inspiron is however made of plastic, but it has a decent NVidea GeForce GTX 960M...

Check out these specs on Dell's Canada site:
http://www.dell.com/ca/p/configuration-compare.aspx?returnURL=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.dell.com%2Fca%2Fp%2Finspiron-15-7559-laptop%2Fpd%3Fref%3DPD_OC

Which one of these would be the better buy in terms of the major factors? (reliability, performance, overall, etc..)
Thanks everyone

Yes, the Dell Inspiron 15 7000 2-in-1 series does have an aluminium chassis, but it costs more than the Dell Inspiron 15 i7559 gaming laptop with the GTX 960. If a GTX 960m GPU was also in that laptop, then the price would be even higher, thus... laptops with aluminium chassis are more expensive than laptops with plastic chassis.

BTW, the link does not work.

themind420

Commendable
Oct 28, 2016

I totally get that, I just think that it would've been a smart option to offer a Dell Inspiron gaming model with aluminum for more more, and likewise, offer a 2-in-1 with a better graphics card & the ability to upgrade. It would've been a huge selling point to have those features in their laptops, but someone at Dell didn't think so...

I'm probably going to get the Inspiron 2-in-1, because the metal chassis is imperative for me. I'll probably manage alright with the Intel card that it comes with.

The link should be working..it takes a second to load, but it opened to Dell's website and the comparisons..

Thanks.