Looking for a Shutdown Benchmark Program

jim3anderson

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011
Searched and searched but have been unable to find a program that will give me a shutdown (not restart) time. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Raiddinn

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2011
If you want to shut down quickly just reinstall windows and don't install any programs.

The more programs you install the longer it takes to shut down (and to start up).

Programmers can't account for things you install yourself so there is no program they can make that tells you if you are shutting down quickly or not.

At best you could get a program that tells you how long it takes, but FinneousPJ just told you a way to do that for free with stuff you already have like a clock.

jim3anderson

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011
I don't understand the perceived ridiculousness of my question. It's primarily for research purposes and i need to monitor shutdown time with more precision than something like a wall clock could give me.

jim3anderson

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011
mesdiscussions-463171.jpg

simon12

Distinguished
May 18, 2010
No because when it restarts so does the program which recorded the time the restart started and than then record the time it finishes, but it could not know the time it was actually shut down.

Raiddinn

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2011
Yes, a restart timer can just record the exact second shutdown starts and the exact second that it loads itself again and then subtract.

There is no way for the computer to say, "OK, I am fully shut down now, hold on while I record this time somewhere".