Looking for a solution to capture TV using a Laptop

XElitte

Estimable
May 16, 2015
My first idea was to connect the HDMI to HDMI cable to my set-top-box and the other end to my laptop. But that wouldn't work because my Laptop HDMI port doesn't support input. If you know a way to use my Laptop HDMI port for input, please reply. If not, continue reading

Now I am thinking of using something like the following image:

mPoIlBKqMdpb-dArQo1M1NQ.jpg

If I connect the HDMI port to one end of the HDMI to HDMI cable and the other end to my set-top-box and USB part to my Laptop, will I be able to see (and hear) what comes from my set-top-box in my Laptop?

I am using an Acer Aspire 32-bit Laptop with Windows 7 OS

Solution
If you set-top box gives your Component out (best) or s-video/composite with analog out when what you need after that is a video capture box/dongle. I dunno whether u can get HD via Component.

kanewolf

Judicious
You may only be able to receive standard definition programming. Why? Because I BET that device isn't HDCP enabled. Without that the box may only let you choose 480p resolution. That device may also be an output device. It is difficult to tell from the picture.
After doing an Google image search, the picture you show is for a video OUTPUT device using USB. If you want input you should google "USB HDMI VIDEO CAPTURE"

XElitte

Estimable
May 16, 2015

Do you mean the above device can be used for a laptop without an HDMI port, for the purpose of projecting Laptop to TV?