Looking for a wireless media solution

Math Geek

Estimable
Herald
I have a situation where once a week i have to set up a pc to 2 projectors. problem is the projectors are a long way away. we are using 100 ft hdmi cables from a splitter by the pc. this is in a HS auditorium which we all pretty well know what they look like :) pc is in the back with the sound set-up and projectors are set-up in orchestra pit in front of the stage.

it works fine and not too hard to set-up. problem is the cables don't last very long being wound up and unwound over and over. the ends have gotten damaged while being stored and/or the cable itself just seems to start getting wonky after a few months of use.

so my question is, what kind of wireless solution is there i can use? something where i can output from the pc, send it over the air for 75-100 ft and then split it from there the last few feet to the 2 projectors. i know there are wireless solutions but wonder if they can handle the distance. it is really only the video i need to send as sound is given to the sound board next to it and transferred with their other sound stuff. mostly it is a powerpoint like presentation, but we do play videos at times so the stream does need to be capable of handling basic video.

finally, there is no native wifi in the building so if that is needed, we'd have to also use a router just for this.

sorry for the book but wanted to be sure my needs were understood :D

Solution

yes using cat cable could be a good alternative--as you say its cheap too

and yeah if i try any of that sort of...

mcnumpty23

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2011
have seen wireless hdmi sender/receivers

they claim around 30m range which is pretty much 100 feet

though never tried those personally

have tried the shorter range--ie cheap ones --for sending tv signal to another room which worked ok

though much shorter distance and only 1 plasterboard/gyprock wall in the way

Math Geek

Estimable
Herald
i believe i have seen these as well in local electronics store but never really looked at range and how the work and so on. think they were mainly like you used, cheaper ones designed for same room or very close by

pretty much my first thought as well, but wonder if someone with more knowledge on the subject knows something i don't :)

btw any idea what these things are called? can't seem to search them out. i keep getting wifi extenders and not what we are talking about.

mcnumpty23

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2011
yes they go from cheap meant for small home use upwards to expensive ones

there are also powerline options--they send the video much the same way powerline adapters for ethernet/internet work

these may be an option as i assume you have power at both ends--ie source and receiver

heres some in my local maplin store to give you an idea--and some possible names to search for

https://www.maplin.co.uk/search?text=hdmi+sender&x=0&y=0

Math Geek

Estimable
Herald
i also ran across a set-up that uses cat5/6 cable between the sender/receiver. that cable would hold up a lot better than hdmi and is real cheap in bulk. seem to run about $60-75. might be a decent compromise if we can't do the expensive wireless solution.

also ran across some breakdowns of the various standards for wireless hdmi video. a couple were very limited in range and line of sight while the longer range ones could go through walls and such. of course those are the expensive models we see. the cheap ones are the much shorter range version, or just super cheap knock-off brands which i avoid like the plague.

mcnumpty23

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2011

yes using cat cable could be a good alternative--as you say its cheap too

and yeah if i try any of that sort of equipment where signal/quality may be an issue

i always buy it from argos just in case---they will take it back if its not up to the job no questions asked

half the time they dont even bother opening the box to actually see if you returned whats on the receipt lol

though no idea if they are uk only or what other stores in other countries will take returns so easily

Solution