Looking for an 11.6" laptop / notebook

El_Torro

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2007
I've found this forum very helpful in the past so hopefully someone can suggest a decent laptop / netbook for me:

1_What is your budget?

£500 (UK)

I don't want to spend any more than that as I think it would be a waste of money considering what I'll be using it for. Any less than £300 I think would be too weak but I'm happy to be proved wrong on that one :)

2_What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?

Must be 11.6". Anything smaller is too small and anything bigger is too big :)

3_What screen resolution do you want?

HD would be good but I'm not too worried.

4_Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?

Portable. I already own a desktop. The laptop would be for using on the move (I go away a lot on weekends).

5_How much battery life do you need?

At least 6 hours would be good but I'm semi flexible on this.

6_Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?

I definitely want to play games. Ideally I'd like to play Civilization 5 on Medium. Not very helpful I know, seeing as I don't think Civ 5's spec requirements have been released yet :)
I'd like to play relatively modern games on High, say Fallout 3 and older. I'm not too worried though seeing as I have a lot of older games (e.g. Civ 4, Deus Ex, Freedom Force and Max Payne) that I could download from Steam and pass the time with.

In essence I'd like to be able to play as modern games as possible while staying within budget.

7_What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.)

Watching movies, internet, streaming, Microsoft Office (I already own this, don't need it to come with the laptop).
I'm not really into photo and video editing at the moment. If I do get into it I can always use my desktop.

8_How much storage (H.D.D Capacity) do you need?

320GB minimum

9_If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.

Ideally www.amazon.co.uk as I get a (small) company discount there. Other than that I don't really mind, as long as they deliver to the UK.

10_How long do you want to keep your laptop?

As long as possible? A couple of years ideally. I'm not too worried about the laptop becoming obsolete in terms of playing new games, I know that with the budget I'm looking at that'll happen anyway.

11_What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?

Preferably no optical drive

12_Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.

I'm not too clued up on laptops so I don't really have a brand preference.

13_What country do you live in?

The UK (England).

14_Please tell us any additional information if needed.

The laptop has to come with Windows 7, mainly because I'd like it to talk to my desktop without any hassle.
4GB of RAM would be nice but the laptops I've seen seem to mainly have 3GB.
An independent rather than integrated graphics card would also be nice but this doesn't seem to be very common among 11.6" laptops.

TRENDING THREADS