Looking for an all-round laptop with some power

So? You should...

• keep the desktop and get a laptop for on the road.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ditch the desktop and get a more capable laptop.

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

M0nk3yL0rd0

Estimable
Sep 25, 2014
Good day all,
I wanted to bother you guys with a cry for help. I am currently looking to by my first ever laptop. As I am finding myself in situations where I simply need a mobile device to satisfy my needs, I have decided to get a laptop instead of a desktop, although I am really a desktop-kinda-guy.
I am faced with the decision of either getting a laptop for when I'm away from home and keeping my desktop for gaming and heavier progams, or getting a laptop that outperformes my dekstop at the moment.
The second option gives me the opportunity to sell my desktop to be able to afford a better laptop.

So I am asking you guys what the wise desicion would be. My current desktop:
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955BE
GPU: ASUS EAHD6850
MOBO: ASUS M4A79XTD
4GB DDR3
1.5TB diskspace and all there is to a desktop.

According to benchmarks a laptop with an i7-4700HQ and a GTX850M should allready outperform my desktops specs. Or is there more to it?
I think that my desktop is probably going to be able to last about 2 more years before becoming a fossil, so sacrificing it for a new device might be a good idea.

I have been looking at a couple laptops. Including:
MSI GE60 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152625
Lenovo Y60 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834317915
ASUS N56JN - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834231974&cm_re=ASUS_N56JN-_-34-231-974-_-Product (cheaper one)

FAQ:
1. What is your budget?
~€1000,- (so about $1100,-)
2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
15.6" - 17.3" Since I will be taking it with me to university, (girl)friend(s) and such. Quite uncertain if 17.3" is mobile enough, so if anyone has some advice here, it would be appreciated.
3. What screen resolution do you want?
1080p or higher
4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
As said I am looking for a laptop that can outperform my current desktop. So both actually :p!
5. How much battery life do you need?
As long as it can survive my 1h 23m train trips all is fine.
6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
Yes! I play really diverse games. Mostly Diablo 3, Fifa 15 and League of Legends at the moment. But I want to be able to play any modern game, as I will probably play some of them. Anything from mid to ultra would be fine with me, depending on the game. I don't expect to max out Crysis 3 and such.
7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
Run Adobe programs (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, etc..), studio work (Cubase, etc..) and some CAD programs for my study (AutoCAD, Soliworks).
8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
500GB+ should be enough as I will probably get an external HDD aswel.
9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
Any Dutch website. But linking me with whatever you got (newegg, amazon) I'll see if it is available in the Netherlands.
10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
Hopefully 4+ years.
11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
DVD-RW would be fine, might even put an SSD in it when the time comes.
12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
Not really a fan-boy. I have had good experiences with ASUS. But I have read good things about brands as MSI and Lenovo aswel.
13. What country do you live in?
The Netherlands
14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
I like turtles.

That's about all for now. Sorry for the long post :D
Cheers,
Camiel

M0nk3yL0rd0

Estimable
Sep 25, 2014
Just came across a 17.3" Medion Erazer X7611 on sale for €1005.
CPU: Intel Core i7-4700HQ
Graphics chipset: Nvidia GeForce GTX 765M
RAM: 16 GB
1920 x 1080 pixels
Storage space 1.128 TB (1TB HDD @ 7200rpm, 128GB SSD)
Dimensions 418 x 288 x 23 mm
Weight 2.7 kg

Offer ends tonight. Think this is as good as it gets, no?