Looking for budget friendly 4K TV

Sep 11, 2018
Black Friday is approaching and my girlfriend and I are looking to upgrade our old tv to a new 4K model. I've been doing some research and have been able to find some 55" Westinghouse and RCA around 600 CAD MSRP but would like to know what I should expect in that range. What will I miss out on, for the cheaper price and what's worth paying the extra money for.
Appreciate any answers and if anyone has any suggestions for models, that'd be welcome to.

jaslion

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012

You'll miss out on quality and longevity. These tv's are made to last until the warranty expires and that's about it.

You'll also have worse colour reproduction due to lower end ips panels but that's to be expected from the cheaper tv's.

Don't buy a tv because it says smart tv and whatnot as lower end tv's do not get updates (rarely some do) so quite soon most of these features stop working hence why it's best to just get a separate box or chromecast.

Sep 11, 2018
How would I know if what I'm buying will last? What sort of features should I look for. My budget is 600 CAD so I think I should be able to find a better option on black Friday for that price but they all look the same to me. Also, is TCL a good brand?

TJ Hooker

Honorable
Apr 15, 2014
Depending on your viewing distance, you may not even see any noticeable difference between 1080p and 4K. And that's assuming you even have 4K content. It's very possible you'd get an overall better quality image with a good 1080p rather than a cheap 4K.

poopflinger

Prominent
Sep 18, 2017
I have a TCL 55P605 and it's a great 4k TV. I use it for gaming and watching movies/shows. It is a far superior setup from my 1080p TV purchased 5 years prior. The HDR isn't amazing, so I choose to watch/play in non-HDR mode. It has a game mode that basically eliminates the already barely noticeable input lag. Black shows up VERY dark so it makes colors pop a lot better compared to my older HD TV. It upscales 1080p content to 4k so watching standard HD content still looks amazing on the TCL. I have almost no complaints about it. Got it for about $500

In this neck of the woods, they sell Samsung/TCL, and Sammy NU6900/7100, TCL series 4/5 are in your price range. Sammy is the big dog, can't really make a big mistake with them. TCL is new entrant but getting good reviews and the Roku OS seems the most friendly for Apps. What I object about this year's budget models are, they are even slightly worse than last year's and the build is all plastic with uber-wide feet so small tables won't do.