Looking for Laptop: Gaming/Modeling

Fuzzyface102

Estimable
Jan 21, 2016
Dear Reader,

Thank you for taking the time to help me find an appropriate laptop. Below is the standard questionnaire answered with details where appropriate.

1. What is your budget?

2000 CAD, (1400 USD) (...RIP...) excluding tax. Will consider up to 2500 CAD (1750 USD)

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?

15-17" (preferably 15)

3. What screen resolution do you want?

1920 x 1080. i.e. FHD (no need for touch screen)

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?

Portable (max 2.6 kg)

5. How much battery life do you need?

At least 3h

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?

Yes, Med to High (not Ultra) Settings for games such as GTA V, Shadow of Mordor, The Witcher 3, Far Cry 4, Batman: Arkham Knight, Assassin's Creed to name a few...

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)

SolidWorks Modeling (basic assemblies/detailed parts), standard MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) usage, and uh numerous chrome tabs...

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?

Min 1 TB HDD + 256 SSD

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.

Anything that ships to Toronto, Canada.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?

~3.5 years

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?

Don't need one but DVD ROM/Writer would be nice

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.

Would anything similar to a Sony (since they are done) because of decent build and awesome keyboard.

Dell because awesome build and great support?

Please DON'T recommend me a Mac. Not worth switching OS and all applications.

Anything that fits my criteria really not too worried about manufacturer.

13. What country do you live in?

Toronto, Canada

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.

Lots of Additional Info:

MUST HAVES:

6th Gen Intel i7 processor
950 series, 3GB dedicated RAM or better, NVIDIA only
Full Keyboard (uniform size arrow keys preferably offset from rest of keyboard and half sized, keypad, RMB key next to R CTRL, backlit, spaced keys) (here is my current keyboard on my 17" Sony, one of the best I've seen and would be ecstatic if I find something like this (i.e. my dream laptop keyboard): http://www.buycheapkeyboard.com/publics/images/600x600/AAPCK101261.jpg)

Would Like
IPS Display
Good trackpad with soft, depressing, individual buttons (like some dell models)
Dolby Home Theater Software compatibility + decent speaker hardware
Compact Charger

Currently Looking at:
Acer Aspire V Nitro 15" VN7-592G-77LB
http://www.acer.com/ac/en/CA/content/model/NX.G6JAA.001

Would definitely buy this if they hadn't decided to introduce the half up/down keys (like most hp models) on their new edition. Honestly, I know it's a picky thing but I can't stand the split up/down and full left/right.

Regards,
Fuzzy

Fuzzyface102

Estimable
Jan 21, 2016
Sorry Ak, was tryjng to reply to ur post but accidentally ended up hitting down vote. Don't u love these popup ads on mobile...?

Anyways, what I'd like to know is if you could provide some pros and cons from your personal experience with the nitro. Things that don't really come up the sheet specs like screen brightness, speaker quality, etc.

Thanks and sorry for the down vote,
Fuzzy