Looking For Laptop

pattonrommel

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2011
Hey guys I'm just looking for a very basic laptop under $500 for everyday use. I just want it to last for more than 4 years. It's mostly just for basic school stuff. Any recommendations?

Thanks

Solution
Sounds good. I have had good luck with Asus products in general, but please check them all out. I have owned several laptops in the past and currently, so I'm a bit pickier with what I look for. My main things are:

* Good screen resolution (on 15"-17") I'm looking for at least 900p (1600 x 900) resolution, less isn't right, IMHO.
* At least 8 gb's of RAM, but at least an option to upgrade to that (some laptops don't have upgrade options).
* An option to upgrade the HD to an SSD. Some laptops don't have removable HD's, so this limits what you can do.
* Enough ports to hook up what I want. I like to have at least 3 USB ports (preferably at least 1 x USB 3.0 port for faster file transfers of bigger files).
* And possibly backlit keys (my...

lunyone

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
Well there are plenty of options, but this one below comes with a 1080p resolution screen, which is hard to find in this price point:

~$340
Asus F555LA-AB31 15.6-Inch Laptop (2.1 GHz Core i3-5010U Processor,4 GB RAM,500 GB Hard Drive, Windows 10), Black

Screen Size 15.6 inches
Max Screen Resolution 1920*1080 pixels
Processor 2.1 GHz Intel Core i3
RAM 4 GB DDR3
Memory Speed 1600 MHz
Hard Drive 500 GB mechanical_hard_drive
Graphics Coprocessor Intel HD
Card Description integrated
Wireless Type 802.11 A/C
Number of USB 2.0 Ports 1
Number of USB 3.0 Ports 2

I would upgrade the RAM to 8 gb's and possibly upgrade to an SSD for quickness within and around the OS, but the SSD isn't needed.

You can also look HERE for more ideas.

pattonrommel

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2011

Awesome! Thanks!

pattonrommel

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2011

I've been looking at the Asus one, however all of the other ones still seem like great options also. Still gonna do some more digging. I'll get back once I've gone through all of them.

lunyone

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
Sounds good. I have had good luck with Asus products in general, but please check them all out. I have owned several laptops in the past and currently, so I'm a bit pickier with what I look for. My main things are:

* Good screen resolution (on 15"-17") I'm looking for at least 900p (1600 x 900) resolution, less isn't right, IMHO.
* At least 8 gb's of RAM, but at least an option to upgrade to that (some laptops don't have upgrade options).
* An option to upgrade the HD to an SSD. Some laptops don't have removable HD's, so this limits what you can do.
* Enough ports to hook up what I want. I like to have at least 3 USB ports (preferably at least 1 x USB 3.0 port for faster file transfers of bigger files).
* And possibly backlit keys (my latest want). I use my laptop for every computing need and sometimes I'm in a darker lighting situations in bed or in a room and having backlit keys would be nice (I currently don't have that option).

Solution

pattonrommel

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2011

So I've looked at 6 of the choices, because after the fourth laptop the options started to get increasingly unattractive. I'm actually going to settle on Asus F555la. I see the things you're looking for and I agree with them, except for the RAM. I don't really need 8gb. Nor do I need the power of an i5 and 1tb of storage. I want to save money since I'll be buying other stuff. So the Asus F555la is the perfect choice from me from how I see it. Thanks!