Looking for lightweight OS for very crappy laptop

Toni_7

Commendable
Apr 18, 2016
My moms laptop is slow and old af,ofc no maintenance at all only browsing,face,shoping and shit there is no hope to clean it anymore so i decided to install some lightweight OS on it,curently it has windows 8 but i wanna lightweight as possible as this laptop is very crappy,its HP550 Intel Celeron 2 Ghz and 1gb ram. So whats best OS for this system,mainly for browsing,facebook,youtube ect.? tnx in advance.

USAFRet

Illustrious

1. ReatctOS is not based off Windows NT, it is Linux. It is 'closer' to a Windows OS, but it is not 'Windows'.
2. It states compatibility with 'many' Windows applications, simply because of WINE
3. ReactOS is not even close to being done. It is still in alpha.

Many other more notmal Linux distros would work a LOT better. Mint, Ybuntu, for example.
Or, add another 2GB to that Laptop, and run Windows just fine.
I have an old Toshiba, Celeron 2.2Ghz, 2GB RAM. Running Win 10.

Toni_7

Commendable
Apr 18, 2016

I actually considered to adding more 1GB ram, Is your laptop responsive enough with W10, whats your approximate ram usage with 2-3 tabs opened? If runs good i will just do that as i like W10

USAFRet

Illustrious

3 tabs in FF, playing a youtube vid.
wvndwSQ.jpg

There is a lot of HD thrashing and swapping, but it runs.

Toni_7

Commendable
Apr 18, 2016
Tnx for example,y its running ok,she doesnt even use more than 3 tabs so thats should be fine but i did some research and because curiosity i actually installed Linux Mint 18 Xfce 32bit,this one should be very light so i tried it. Not very good first impresion,pain to ass to set it up and its slow due to the wrong graphic card drivers i think,i just think that it should run faster even with this specs and my graphic is intel GMA x3100 and driver installed is Intel GME965/GLE960 and i cant find x3100 driver anywhere on internet.
plus my q,w,y,x dont work on keyboard even if i set all on USA it just write some letters from my native language wich i already have on keyboard.