Looking for new audio system for PC under 300 dollars, suggestions?

Zelda911911

Honorable
Jan 3, 2014
I have been searching for a new system for my computer, I have had an old Boston Micro Media system for as long as I can remember and it is finally starting to die on me.

The budget I have for this new audio system is $300 dollars, and I will mostly using it for gaming (specifically horror games), and music ranging from bass heavy songs to mid/high range songs (such as general pop songs). I would like to get the clearest and most crisp audio I can get for that price. So far from reading online one of the most recommended speakers is Swan M50W system.

I would like to hear your thoughts of the speaker, any personal experiences and recommendations.

Also something that i was wandering about was the differences between a 2.0 system, 2.1, and 5.1 and so on and so forth. Thank you!

Solution
generally, you can not go wrong with logitech. 2.0 is just 2 speakers and no sub woofer and will not provide much bass (unless they are huge tower speakers), 2.1 is 2 speakers + sub woofer for bass, 5.1 is 5 speaker surround with sub woofer.
http://www.logitech.com/en-au/product/speaker-system-z623
this is a very good system for a 2.1 system.
i havnt heard of swan before, but i looked up the system you speak of and they look to be quite good.
Good idea to look out at your local hi-fi retailer as i recently picked up a full 5.1 Pioneer home theatre system for $200 on an after xmas sale that would blow any 2.1 pc speaker system away. you dont have to use "multimedia pc speakers" for your pc. if you have the room, just get a full blown...

iam2thecrowe

Distinguished
generally, you can not go wrong with logitech. 2.0 is just 2 speakers and no sub woofer and will not provide much bass (unless they are huge tower speakers), 2.1 is 2 speakers + sub woofer for bass, 5.1 is 5 speaker surround with sub woofer.
http://www.logitech.com/en-au/product/speaker-system-z623
this is a very good system for a 2.1 system.
i havnt heard of swan before, but i looked up the system you speak of and they look to be quite good.
Good idea to look out at your local hi-fi retailer as i recently picked up a full 5.1 Pioneer home theatre system for $200 on an after xmas sale that would blow any 2.1 pc speaker system away. you dont have to use "multimedia pc speakers" for your pc. if you have the room, just get a full blown hi-fi setup.

Solution

Goodeggray

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2011
Do you have a amp already? The .1 refers to a sub woofer. So 2.0 is 2 speakers no sub, 2.1 is 2 speakers with 1 sub and 5.1 is 5 speakers in surround sound with 1 sub and 5.2 is 5 speakers with 2 subs.