Looking for over-ear headphones that is ideal for bass (mainly and other music)!!

CostaP

Estimable
Dec 22, 2014
I listen to a mix of music, but a lot of it is bass... Such as Avicci, Alex Adair,Kygo,Major Lazor (some other). I also listen to a lot of other music mix (I hope) such as Mumford and Sons, Imagine dragons, Maroon 5, Stromae, The Script, One republic, some Indie. I am looking for good a pair of headphones that will sound good with that music. Requirements:

1)Under £200 (£130/£100 even better)
2)Comfortable over ear
3)Looks nice/does not look too big on someones head
4)Nice sound quality that goes well with my music
5)Good quality so does not break
6)With a wire...obviously...but one that is not wireless is what I am trying to say.

I have looked at the Sennheiser Momentum 1.0 Closed Circumaural Over-Ear Headphone. Only thing is, it has mixed reviews about its bass quality. They look nice, comfortable (tried on a pair), dont look too big on my head, but not sure about sound quality. I am in desperate need of a pair! Please help if you can..thanks!! :) :)

Solution
headphone size does not impact how much bass headphones have. it is all about the drivers and design of the enclosure.

for example, iems (in ear monitors) have excellent isolation from noise and can have ear-shattering bass since they are in your ear canal. actual volume output however is less but given the direct to ear canal design it doesnt need to be high output to sound high output.

then, there are large cans like the over ear ad500x which are very anemic on sub bass - because they are designed that way.

as for on-ears, some have good bass, some do not.

as for isolation, you have closed and open headphones. closed are noise isolating but have smaller soundstages. open leak noise in and out however had more airy sound and larger...
dt770-pro80.
depending on what onboard audio or soundcard you have you might need a cheap amplifier like the fiio a3 or soundcard like the z but its well worthwhile.

comfortable, bassy with decent soundstage for closed noise isolating cans.

if you would rather have more soundstage and a more open sounding can, the dt990 would be a good choice dt990-pro250. definitely would want an amp like the a3 or soundcard like the z for them.

both are around the 110gbp mark.

CostaP

Estimable
Dec 22, 2014

As always, appreciate the help from you again :D. You seem like one who answers on all threads and who knows what they are talking about which is nice.

So you think I can get a better pair of headphones (that are also good for bass/mix of music) that is cheaper then the momentums?
And is it a case of, the smaller headphones, like the momentums, wont produce good bass but the big ones, (they all look quite big on my head :/ ) would have good bass? Is that how it sort of works?

P.S Could you possible suggest a popualr music/headphone recommendation forum website I can use as well, it would help. Thanks

headphone size does not impact how much bass headphones have. it is all about the drivers and design of the enclosure.

for example, iems (in ear monitors) have excellent isolation from noise and can have ear-shattering bass since they are in your ear canal. actual volume output however is less but given the direct to ear canal design it doesnt need to be high output to sound high output.

then, there are large cans like the over ear ad500x which are very anemic on sub bass - because they are designed that way.

as for on-ears, some have good bass, some do not.

as for isolation, you have closed and open headphones. closed are noise isolating but have smaller soundstages. open leak noise in and out however had more airy sound and larger soundstage. earbuds are not isolating, canalphones slightly so, iems highly isolating, on-ears can be non-isolating (open) or semi isolating (closed) since the seal on ear might not be perfect. over-ear can be non-isolating (open) or highly isolating (closed) due to the good seal covering the entire ear.

there are two classifications of bassy headphones... "bassy" which is more than neutral (flat eq) but less than extreme levels which tend to distort other audio just to produce bass and then there are "bass cannons" which often are muddy sounding or at least have distorted treble and mids and only focus on sheer quantity of bass output. the dt770 is in the bassy category and will satisfy all but hardcore bassheads.

of them, the dt770 80 ohm version is the most bassy, the 250 is slightly more refined sounding.

head-fi is good for reading but you need to take what they say with a grain of salt since it is an audiophile website and they take things to the extreme. what they say sounds bad the average person may think sounds great.

Solution