Solved! Help with Audio Quality and Background Noise

arius__

Commendable
May 20, 2018
Before we get into it, please let it be noted that I have played for less than a month with an electric instrument, and as such I am new to using amplifiers. I have a quarter jack to 3.5mm adapter that I plug into my bass and then to my computer with a $3 cable from amazon, which works fine but if I bump the connecter it cuts out. I found that using a normal quarter jack cable from the bass to my amp, and then the quarter jack adapter to my headphones, I was able to get really, really nice sound. The problem is when I use the amp and run a 3.5mm from the amp to my PC, there is horrendous white noise that persists unless the amp is turned off at the wall. Also not that the actual bass sounds terrible when connected this way. Any thoughts as to why this is? (Also I want it to run through my pc so I can play it to my friends in discord, and also record it in higher quality than my phone mic).

Thanks in advance :)

Solution
The direct bass-pc connection should work. Try it with an actual cable with 1/4" & 3.5mm mono plugs at each end. Get one that is heavy duty. That might make a more solid connection than the adapter+cheap cable.
As to the other way you tried could the white noise (which could be described as a hiss) be a ground loop (which could be described as a hum or buzz?
If the amp has a three prong AC cord try using a 3-2 adapter to lift the ground prong. The advantage of going through the amp is that you are getting the sound of the amp not just the sound of the un-amplified bass.
The other way to do what you want is to get a USB interface.
The direct bass-pc connection should work. Try it with an actual cable with 1/4" & 3.5mm mono plugs at each end. Get one that is heavy duty. That might make a more solid connection than the adapter+cheap cable.
As to the other way you tried could the white noise (which could be described as a hiss) be a ground loop (which could be described as a hum or buzz?
If the amp has a three prong AC cord try using a 3-2 adapter to lift the ground prong. The advantage of going through the amp is that you are getting the sound of the amp not just the sound of the un-amplified bass.
The other way to do what you want is to get a USB interface.

Solution