Looking for the best PC-Gaming headset ever

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Derico

Honorable
Dec 26, 2013
Hey guys,

just like the title suggests, I'm looking for simply the best. That means: perfect 7.1 / 360° sound, perfect microphone quality (so my mates can even understand me when im mumbling).

Optional quality that'd be nice: good for music / movies, too.

So far, ive checked out these here:

• Beyerdynamic MMX 300
    Astro A50
    Sennheiser G4ME ZERO BLACK
    Sennheiser PC 363D
    Turtle Beach Ear Force Z

My impression so far: Astro and Turtle beach seem to have some longterm issues with build quality.

Solution
Take a look at the Corsair Headsets. I bought the Corsair Vengeance 1500 v2 and never been happier with a headset. Mic on it is CRYSTAL CLEAR. Sound on it is amazing. Very comfortable when wearing it for an extended period of time. There is no such thing as True 7.1 with a headset since you only have 2 speakers but the software does a really good job making it as close as possible. When i was playing BF4 i could hear everything going on. For example i could hear things from half way across the map. I wanted the wired set since I hate dealing with charging and batteries but they have other models that are wireless if thats what your looking for.

RazerZ

Honorable
Herald
Aug 18, 2013
No problem! The Phillips is a great choice if you want a mix of a bassy headphone and soundstage, but if you wanted more of a competitive edge you could look into the AKG models I posted. They still have an amazing soundstage while not sounding as dry as the AD 700. Either way you can't go wrong. The STX II would work great as a sound card. Personally I would get something like a STX which is still a good sound card but costs half the price of the newer version.

Derico

Honorable
Dec 26, 2013

I was torn between the AKG K701/Q701 and the Fidelio X2 for a while, but i keep hearing that the rugged headband is uncomfortable. As far as Essence STX I / II goes, ive heard some rumours about it not being aimed at gamers. Is a phoebus actually going to perform better in gaming?

RazerZ

Honorable
Herald
Aug 18, 2013
Well if you go with the X2 you really won't need an amp/soundcard since your motherboard's onboard DAC/AMP should be sufficient for it. Pairing a high impedance amp with low impedance headphones like the X2 probably wouldn't be the best choice and it could result in poorer audio quality.

I would take the STX since it seems more suited for use with stereo headphones with features such as a swappable OP amp and it has a better signal to noise ratio for driving stereo headphones.A soundcard with a built in amp could be beneficial with the AKGs since they are harder to drive with a 62ohm impedance.

Although honestly I would just try them out with your onboard first and see if you're happy with them before looking to buy a soundcard.