Looking to buy a laptop for architecture college under 1000 USD

prakhar_

Prominent
Nov 7, 2017
So my budget is 1000 US dollars, and I'm looking to buy a laptop that will last me at least until my internship i.e, 5 years. I can extend my budget to a maximum of 1100 USD, and the laptop must have Thunderbolt connectivity so that I can plug in an external GPU when the hardware becomes outdated. I will be running AutoCAD, Photoshop, Blender, Revit, SketchUp, 3ds Max, V-Ray, Lumion, ZBrush, etc.

Solution
I would suggest a laptop with at least an i7 6th or 7th Gen along with Nvidia's GeForce 10 series GPU, paired with at least 8GB of RAM which should be expandable to 16GB or more. You should be able to get the 6GB version of GTX 1060 in your budget on upcoming black friday sales or even the 8GB GTX 1070 if you are into buying refurbished units, both of which are excellent choices for the programs that you are aiming to run. Just make sure you get a laptop with an SSD, although one with both an HDD and SSD will be preferable.

Lenovo is currently selling the base model of its Legion Y720 with a 6GB GTX 1060 and an i7 for $1099, it comes with all these specs and is a steal at this price point, since no other brand is offering all these...

zxacto

Prominent
Nov 7, 2017
I would suggest a laptop with at least an i7 6th or 7th Gen along with Nvidia's GeForce 10 series GPU, paired with at least 8GB of RAM which should be expandable to 16GB or more. You should be able to get the 6GB version of GTX 1060 in your budget on upcoming black friday sales or even the 8GB GTX 1070 if you are into buying refurbished units, both of which are excellent choices for the programs that you are aiming to run. Just make sure you get a laptop with an SSD, although one with both an HDD and SSD will be preferable.

Lenovo is currently selling the base model of its Legion Y720 with a 6GB GTX 1060 and an i7 for $1099, it comes with all these specs and is a steal at this price point, since no other brand is offering all these specs AND a Thunderbolt port for anywhere below $1300, my brother just got his last week and I must say it's a great deal with a solid build quality. Use the code SAVEXTRA5 at checkout to get an additional 5 percent discount.

https://www3.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/ideapad/lenovo-legion-y-series-laptops/Legion-Y720-15IKB/p/88GMY700794

Solution