Low budget laptop recommendations

cacra

Honorable
Jul 10, 2013
Hi,

I'm in the process of buying a new laptop for university and would like to ask for your opinions on a few I like the look off. I don't need a particularly powerful one, although it would be nice to play some low-end games like Quake 3/TF2 put portability is very important.

Lenove Flex 2
Lenovo G5070
Toshiba L50-B.

Has anyone got any experience with these laptops?

~~

cacra

Honorable
Jul 10, 2013
Thanks but the E1-571 is too thick and looks too 'budgety' for what I am after. I'm going to have my desktop with me so, while performance is an issue, it isn't as important as the other factors.

Portability is really important and 2.5kg is too much.

lcp1109

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010

cacra

Honorable
Jul 10, 2013

£400.

Portability/aesthetics are pretty difficult to search for on websites like that - i was really hoping for some first-hand experience.

cacra

Honorable
Jul 10, 2013

Yes I like the Lenovo Flex 2, I have just heard it is rather difficult to upgrade and, since it doesn't have a SDD, upgrading would definitely be on the agenda.

I would go with either dell or toshiba as lenovo had a software that makes it easier for hackers to use your personal data. I know that they have stopped putting that software on but it shows that they are not very secure about their software that they bundle in,

Also dell has student discounts for uni students.

cacra

Honorable
Jul 10, 2013

What piece of software are you speaking of in particular? That sounds rather concerning. But it only takes a second to uninstall, It seems rash to avoid the entire company for something so easily fixed.

The Dell discounts are pretty small and I haven't seen anything standout at this pricepoint.

I was talking about the superfish program. But yes that is true.