Lower amps adapter

JDG1212

Honorable
Apr 11, 2013
The aftermarket adapter has the same voltage but has half the amps. It does charge the laptop while turned off but heats up the adapter a lot and when the laptop is on it will actually run out of power while plugged in. Obviously this is not the ideal adapter but will it damage the laptop?

JDG1212

Honorable
Apr 11, 2013

JDG1212

Honorable
Apr 11, 2013
Thank you. I did see it acting a little different. What kills me is that Sears sold it online as the exact adapter for my model and the exact specs. It was half the price of the HP/Compaq original. Will I ever learn or ever trust Sears again? Thanks

RetiredChief

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2007
^ Concur with reasons.

1) The voltage rating on the laptop is ONLY vailid up to the rated current.
2) The max Current that is drawn is based on: laptop On and charging at the same time.

What is happening is That you are drawing More current than what the charger is rated at. This in turn loads the voltage down so that you will be suppling less voltage than is listed on the charger.
In Your case the voltage is dropping more than is required by the laptop input circuits. So YES your laptop input could Fail, EVEN if the AC adaptor ddn't fail. NOTE: Also, The AC charger WILL fail, just a question of how soon.

Bottom Line - DO NOT use that AC adaptor with that laptop.