LulzSec Teen Bailed Out, Had 750,000 Records

Status
Not open for further replies.

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
"Monday morning 18-year-old Jake "Topiary" Davis was released on bail on the condition that he did not use the Internet, and that he stick to a curfew enforced by his mother and brother"

He's 18 now. He shouldn't get a juvenile's punishment...

jackbling

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011
Sooooooooo if you are gonna run 16 vm's doing illegal things, why would you not take the performance hit and use full drive encryption. Anything is breakable sure, but the data shouldnt be sitting their plain jane; its a laptop, go get in on some McWiFi.

I'm not going to argue ethics, as i have a sort of love hate with the hacktivist trend, but maybe they should have a little pamphlet pdf, containing do's and dont's. It is crazy to think people are motivated enough to hack sony and the like, yet are too lazy for some cyoa due diligence. By being easily caught you undermine the entire message you are trying to convey.

I miss 90's hackers/viruses

Genny

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2011
ackbling 08/01/2011 8:17 PM
Sooooooooo if you are gonna run 16 vm's doing illegal things, why would you not take the performance hit and use full drive encryption. Anything is breakable sure, but the data shouldnt be sitting their plain jane; its a laptop, go get in on some McWiFi.

I'm not going to argue ethics, as i have a sort of love hate with the hacktivist trend, but maybe they should have a little pamphlet pdf, containing do's and dont's. It is crazy to think people are motivated enough to hack sony and the like, yet are too lazy for some cyoa due diligence. By being easily caught you undermine the entire message you are trying to convey.

I miss 90's hackers/viruses

Because, as the article indicates, it's unlikely he had any direct involvement with actual 'hacking'. They just need a name a face to publicly crucify right now.

/not saying he's innocent

ithurtswhenipee

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
They are saying he was just a script-kiddie. BTW, 5.5 Mbps not high speed? Granted it is not my 16 Mbps comcast connection, but it is certainly faster then most base level DSL connections.

G

5.5 megabits per second! That dosen't sound like poor internet to me. 20% of people in the US are still stuck on dial-up.

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
"Telecoms regulator Ofcom seemingly backed up the defense Monday morning, stating that the Shetland Islands play host to some of Britain's poorest Internet connections. There are no high-speed broadband connections, with the average speed of around 5.5 megabits per second."

LOL... higher then the US average. But apparently that's alright.

sunflier

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
Lets see...
- Dell laptop
- external 100 GB running 16 different virtual computers.
- details of an attack on Sony
- personal records of around 750,000 individuals including email addresses and passwords
- single-use email address with a lifespan of around ten minutes
Davis' lawyer,...admitted that the boy helped to publicize the work of LulzSec and Anonymous. But ...argued that there was no real evidence to show that Davis had the expertise to have taken part in any of the attacks...
pAleeze!The little hacker's attorney must be gettin tips from Jose Biaz.

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
[citation][nom]ithurtswhenipee[/nom]They are saying he was just a script-kiddie. BTW, 5.5 Mbps not high speed? Granted it is not my 16 Mbps comcast connection, but it is certainly faster then most base level DSL connections.[/citation]
[citation][nom]rafiki69[/nom]5.5 megabits per second! That dosen't sound like poor internet to me. 20% of people in the US are still stuck on dial-up.[/citation]
I'm guessing you two live in either the US or Australia. In any other part of the developed world 5.5 Mbps probably wouldn't be considered "high-speed broadband".

shanky887614

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010
he was bassically the sacrificial lamb

making virtual machines is very easy a baby could do it

you can tell he isnt a real hacker becasue a real hacker would encrypt the whole computer with it set so one password opens 1 operating system and another opens the main

if you use a large enough password it is impossible to break a truecrypt volume at this time

the encryption is just so far ahead of computer speed that even with super computers it would take a long time

Genny

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2011
The absolute best, and most expensive, offered in my area is 6.0 down / .75 up and I live in a highly populated area of California. D:

jackbling

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011
[citation][nom]Genny[/nom]Because, as the article indicates, it's unlikely he had any direct involvement with actual 'hacking'. They just need a name a face to publicly crucify right now. /not saying he's innocent[/citation]

Yeah, i typed in a hurry; for clarity, i was implying that the actual hackers/leaders would do well to offer ten minutes of instruction on how to obfuscate ones actions, as when the underlings are caught it damages the root intent of illustrating the ineffectiveness of government/industry.

Also everything i say is under the assumption that he is actually affiliated with lulzsec or any other group(or moniker in anons case), and didnt just dl the listings from twitter; and lets face it, anyone with reading aility and google can set up a vm, and just having a vm isnt exactly incriminating.

The way the article reads it simply says he was in possession of freely available listings and had some vm's running, with a freely available temp email service running; you dont need to be in a special club to meet any of that criteria. Sounds like a shaky case unless they can prove he was actively participating.

Anyone know what kind of charge possession of private account info carries?

(btw sorry if I ramble or repeat, listening in on a conference call atm)

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
i personally think that he knew what he was doing....he made it look like he was not 100% involved....i think he is guilty

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
"was displaying a dialogue box for a single-use email address with a lifespan of around ten minutes"

That was the gateway to his *real* hacking software, it had a auto destruct bomb in case something happened to him.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
Monday morning 18-year-old Jake "Topiary" Davis was released on bail on the condition that he did not use the Internet, and that he stick to a curfew enforced by his mother and brother.

If this guy knows how to run a VM, he won't give a $h!t about your "curfew". I have mixed feeling about LulzSex and Anonymous, so I stay neutral, but it always cracks me up to see the stupidity of the people who don't realize how easy it is to access the Internet nowadays no matter who doesn't want you to do so.

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
Also, like Shanky said, this guy was running VM's on unencrypted hard drives, which doesnt mean jack.
If this kid is good, he *does* have encrypted hard drives that will take them a while to figure out. But if he doesn't then it IS possible that he was a sympathizer and was just collecting hacked documents that are already out on the internets.

Only after a *REAL* complete scrubdown of his IP and hard drive will tell.....

eguichardo

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2007
What's to tell that what the police confiscated was his real setup?? Topiary was doxed a while ago. He had enough time to set himself up as a script kiddie.

G

I had 8/1,5 five years ago, now have 100/100 (70/50 effective)

Status
Not open for further replies.