M17-R1 Alienware laptop battery not charging

DaniDolby

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2010
Hello,
Our M17-R1 laptop battery is not charging although it shows th cable as being connected, also the power button light is pink, not sure if the two are connected?

How old is the battery? If it is "older," chances are that you'll need a new one, as laptop batteries do not last forever (1-3 years depending on how often you take it off of AC power, etc...).

G

i have the same issue with my alienware battery and i got it in december....just wont charge....any ideas?

mkaluski

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
Hi!

This is what I do when the craptops "M17x" battery does not charge.

Turn off the computer, unplug the chord, take out the battery....

Lift up the screen and hold the on button for about 30 seconds or so....

Put the battery back in, plug the chord back in.....

Turn it on.

It works for me every time. Your craptop might even boot quicker too. I call it a craptop because I have an M17x myself...and it is a piece of crap.

Good luck!

Mike

G

We just spent a month and a half on support, got a replacement motherboard, that came DOA. Since it was 6 support calls, they rebuilt the laptop and resent it and just got it. Guess what, the same battery charging issue as before. I guess they really need to fix their firmware to fix this issue. That will probably come sometime in 2012 if lucky.

Artix_Krieger

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2010

Greetings and salutations! If you press FN + Battery Key (One of the F keys at the top of your keyboard) it will disable/re-enable battery charging. It is surprisingly easy to hit this by mistake, and most people to not know about it. (The FN is a key at the bottom left of your keyboard in between the CONTROL and WINDOWS keys.) I hope this is of some help to you.

Battle on!
Artix

G

Okay....? you tell us where the fn button is, but where the hell is the "battery key"? And no answer to this "pink power button"? That's why I'm here =/

evilavatar

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
Alienwares are just plain battery hogs, most of the desktop replacement laptops are. Using the video components that make them high preformance also make them use a lot of powre. Along with the system "short" that was suggested try cleaning the battery contacts.

lucjan

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2011
problem with mx17 1st generation is that they gave up on it a long time ago, its not your batterry thats an issue but most likelly the BIOS, when I received my laptop from shop I had same issue, and had to back my bios to a03 I think, maybe a02, just resently my batterry was not even being detected by my mx17, not charging either so my quick fix was to plug in an old dell charger at which point it took me to bios (f2) key if working on your laptop, and after few changes (since the charger was not strong enough to push my mx17) it allowed me to tweek it a bit, and reverted to A03 bios from A07 , after that my batterry is now fully charged and still charging , even after I reinstalled A07 bios. Its their issue but none of them know enough to fix it, so you have to do it on your own, and it being gen1 mx17 most likelly the warranty is expired, and they will claim that its a software issue, well it is but their software that causes the issue, and they want to charge you money for not having a clue what they are talking about.

randomstar

Distinguished
May 2, 2007
ALso to be sure, you are using the actual DELL power supply? I have people all the time bring a unit to me or call complaining that they could not charge after they went and spend 100+ dollars on a fancy new Belkin or whatever power supply.. not realizing that the dell notebooks often will not accept charging with anything other than a genuine dell AC adapter. I hand them a standard 90w or 65w deping on their unit, and BAM! it starts charging.

AngryAlienwareuser

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2011
its not the fking ac adapter or the fking battery.
or anything in the fking laptop.

the laptop is just being ******* stupid.

i was running my m17 for years perfectly... screen broke, bought a new one from ztronics... and in the middle of putting it back together the power button gets all crazy by shining white or something... and wouldn't stop until i put the battery in then took it out........

after that it had this stupid fking startup issue...

either the blue light turns on for 1 milisecond... or the battery red light turns on for 1 milisecond...

if its plugged in...it says it is but never starts up.
i left it plugged in for hours and still doesnt turn on.

i cleaned the entire inside and still the SAME sht.
new ac adapter = same sht.
new battery = same sht.

alienware + ztronics can suck my left nucksack.

anastasios_21

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012
take battery out of commputer hold the power button for minuet and then put battery in and it should charge but it will not fix permantly you have to do this everytime it happens

anastasios_21

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012
take battery out hold power button down for one minuet then install battery problem fixed but if it happens again repeat as offten as needed

spdklls7

Honorable
Oct 20, 2012
I am having the same problem with my brand new M14X....seems to happen when i am playing battlefield 3....even now while writing this it says charging to battery has temporarily been suspended..

and the fn + charging key? (f2 key) all that does is opens the Alienware command center..it does not stop and /or start battery charging nor is there any way to start or stop anywhere that I can find in the computer

I have called Alienware support 3 times now over this..they sent me a new battery 3 days ago ..then it's doing it again today...They claim they have never heard of this problem before..I see now they are either lying or don't have anyway to see if its been reported before.

The taking the battery out while unplugged works to restart charging...for a time, till it does it again......but why the hell should I have to do that to a brand new $1500 computer?

jdg0717

Honorable
Dec 10, 2012
I had an issue with my m15x as well and thought it was a problem with the Laptop batteries, but instead I ended up getting the power trans replaced. It was a very minor procedure and got my laptop back after 2hrs. It cost me $120 for the part to be replaced. If you are having problems with your laptop take it to the service center as they know what is best. If you need some new batteries you can also search some stores which specialize in them http://www.a1batterypro.com.au/prodcat/16/Laptop-Batteries.aspx http://www.laptopbatterydepot.com/