m18x motherboard problem (i guess)

jeremyguo02

Estimable
Sep 2, 2015
gNeBqdf.jpg

Hi Guys,

I hv this 2nd hand m18x R1, it is having screen freeze problems, system is also not responding. it will happen about 30 mins after it is turned on. the screen freezes and also the cap/num lock lights are not responding when pressed the buttons, so it should be a system freeze rather than graphical. software reads 80+ cpu temperature, shortly after system turned on.

i opened it up, and see whats in the picture. somebody attempted to fix it apparently.

it seems that one of the fan power outlet is broken so somebody tried to connected to the other one with the yellow wire. clever, but air coming out of these 2 fans are not as hot as the air coming from the fan on the other side (not in the picture).

I suspect that this arrangement is causing both fans to not work as efficient as before, thus getting overheat and freeze. im thinking instead of replacing the mobo. is it possible to take one of the GPU out (it has a crossfire set up), disconnect the fan on top of that GPU (left fan in the picture) and then plug in the CPU fan properly.

does anyone know if this might work and fix the overheating and screen freeze problem?

Thanks.

luna74

Estimable
Sep 4, 2015
Hey,
I'm thinking that you're totally correct, and that this is causing your issue, however I also think that if possible you shouldn't simply detach the GPU's fan and be done with it. Instead, I purpose figuring out another hardware solution that will allow for you to get the necessary 12v to the GPU's fan that are required in order for its operation, otherwise it'll likely overheat, and then you're back to square 1