Mac Cloner Psystar Begs Judge for Legitimacy

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

azetec

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2009
Why only gay people buy Apple products because they knew that only Apple fits well on their desk as well on their buttholes

datawrecker

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
[citation][nom]jjchmiel78[/nom]Apple can not adopt anything like the PC model. If they do, that means lower pricing. Lower pricing means more people would be interested. More people interested means more sales. More sales means a larger market share. Larger market share means more interest in those making malware. More malware and users will result in Mac unable to have the smug attitude of we are better than you. See it ruins their entire image. I am not really a PC fanboy, I can acknowledge Macs benefits. I just can not stand how negative their ads are and how smug our Mac tech is even though we see him more often on our 1 mac in the company than we do for the 10 pcs in our company.[/citation]

This is true. Even Apple engineer admit that Snow Leopard has more security holes than a Vegas brothel.

daship

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
Apple has no more right the Psystar to sell PCs with OSX.

OSX license says you cant install it on non Apple branded hardware.

Lets see whats in a Apple PC:
Foxcon motherboard, nope non apple hardware.
Intel CPU, again not made by apple.
Nvidia and ATI video cards, again, not made by apple.
ram, nope, non apple.
Dvd, nope not Apple.

A stupid logo of a apple does not qualify making all of this non apple hardware into becoming apple hardware.

I hope Psystar wins, Im using their rebel efi and it works perfect.

Get a clue Apple drop your under powered harware and turn your software loose, charge what M$ charges, I bet 90% of all PCS would go to Dual boot setups.

rosuto

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
My thoughts: If apple is willing to sell their OS to anyone, then that person should be allowed to do what they want with it.

Also if it is not illegal to ebay your mac, why should it be illegal for Psystar to sell new macs?

G

If Apple spent billions of dollars on R&D to create OSX they sure need to fire their developers. Mac sells itself on it's User Interface, which is crap for working at a fast pace. They didn't even develop the entire thing, it's built on top of Open Source software.

They now even copy PC's hardware because their own sucks. People buy Apple for one thing and one thing only, because it "looks" pretty. If you need to get something done like a hyperactive cocaine induced 13 year old needs cowbell, you can use anything BUT mac.

G

I wonder who is behind who is behind Psystar for all their legal fees...

VidGameKing

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2009
Don't steal! The technology that allows apple software to know that it's installing on apple hardware is this fancy bit of code in the bios/EFI.

Psystar and the like have emulators that have this code running on them. They are redistributing and modifying, (plagiarizing if you will) Apple's proprietary code.

Selling or reselling the OS is all well and good, hell, install it on some hard drive and sell me the drive. That’s okay. But emulate, and run apple’s proprietary hardware-level code, and your fuking with the engineer’s hard work.

Psystar and the like need to be dissolved, and their profits turned over to Apple!

datawrecker

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
[citation][nom]zoran[/nom]Microsoft just makes the software - not the hardware. So they have licensed Windows for use on Macs. Simple as that.Apple, makes the software and hardware. The software sells their hardware at the higher price. If someone else, Psystar, starts selling that software for their OWN profit why should Apple just sit back?Some of you really need to get your facts right and see that Microsoft and Apple have two different business models.[/citation]

Apple makes PC hardware? Name one piece of hardware in a Mac or any variations, other than the shell, that is manufactured by Apple. By their own EULA you are illegaly installing their OS on anything other than an iPod or iPhone.

Microsoft is just as much into hardware as Apple with the selling of the 360, and ZuneHD. (ZuneHD is far more superior than the iPod touch)

I have no problem with running a OSX. I already do and have been for a while. I just refuse to pay for overpriced hardware. Hackintosh FTW! I just have problems with thier operations. Their advertising is lackluster as best. They couldn't increase their marketshare by point out thier own strengths so instead the try to harp on the history their competitions weakness. Which isn't even the case anymore. Honestly, this has been tried before for years and it still didn't help. Maybe the problem isn't the products. Maybe it is the business model of Apple. Change that and maybe then they can get more than 5.3%. Windows 7 has been on the market for two weeks and is already over 3%. What does that tell you? There was a .2% shift to Mac upon release of Windows 7. Doesn't look to hot does it.

Anyone else noticing how Microsoft is all of the sudden doing things right and Apple is starting to emerge as a corporate jackass. Trying to hide exploding products, erasing all of the users data after signing in as a guest. Never see them mention that in their Mac vs PC commercials.

Zomby

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2009
[citation][nom]VidGameKing[/nom]Psystar and the like have emulators that have this code running on them. They are redistributing and modifying, (plagiarizing if you will) Apple's proprietary code.[/citation]

By your logic, 100% of the PC market is illegal since the BIOS that sits on every motherboard was copied off IBM's. The fact that Psystar has been able to fool OSX into thinking it's running on Apple hardware is in no way illegal, as long as it's their own code and not Apple's source code as you imply.

LePhuronn

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
OSX comes free with a new Mac or $50 to upgrade an existing copy.

Buy stand-alone copies with Mac-ownership authentication for $120, buy it totally hardware-free for $200.

Done. Problem solved. Wake up Apple.

Nobody buys a Mac for the OS regardless of what Apple say - Apple fans buy Apple because it's Apple, non-tech people buy Apple because it's advertised as a robust, easy-to-use single platform.

VidGameKing

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2009
You don't seem to remember the big IBM bios litigations that happened in the early '80s! There could not be an exact copy, but a clean-room reverse engineering was okay, see Apple vs. Franklin for the details of the litigation that led to that requirement.

In fact what we have here is another Apple vs. Franklin!!! Remember that Frankin copied the ROM from an apple II to make their “clone” But because it was a straight rip, it was illegal. So Psystar and the like are using this EFI loader, like chameleon, to fool the OS into allowing it to boot. But the EFI code is a direct rip from the wayyyy back original code apple sent to developers to introduce them to programming for Mac on the Intel platform. (With constant modifications to be sure) but still it’s based off the original apple code. Which belongs to apple. NO ONE ELSE.

Also

The various arguments about the hardware not being “apple” hardware you’re statements are untrue as well. You’ll find that the motherboards are neither ATX, or BTX compatible in any of the apple systems. MANY companies offload production of hardware to third party companies. Look at Cisco, Dell, and HP, 3Com or any of the other major players in the market for information technology. Sure back in the day they made their own hardware, but now-a-days it’s cheaper and better to have someone in China make your stuff, just like it’s cheaper and better to have someone in India answer the phones. Apple developed their own hardware, sure it’s based on Intel, and nVidia whitepapers, but it’s still theirs. I’ll grant you that hard drives, video cards, and whatever x, may be “off-the-shelf” but they still have to meet apple’s specifications. Dell doesn’t make video cards, but they offer them in their systems. Actually dell is just as bad, have you tried replacing the power supply in your Dell tower lately? Good luck not blowing your system up! They re-wired the power supplies for some strange reason. Why? Its dell’s hardware (Dell’s computers are made by Foxconn too)

Read; “Designed in California by Apple”

It’s not like they are throwing together parts you and I can find off the shelf at your local Fry’s. Hell even their cases are specially engineered, designed for optimum cooling with minimal, noise and footprint. These systems are not designed for “joe-computer-modder” They fit a specific purpose, with a specific role, for a specific person.

Apple sells computer/software/hardware packages. They always have, they always will you can upgrade components to the package, but unless you have a complete set you’re out-of-bounds with the EULA Look at the Apple II, the Lisa, the 8-Bit macs, the 16-bit macs, the PowerPC macs. Look at the Commodore, or the Amiga. Same business model all along.

God you cheap whiney punks, if you can’t afford something save up some effing money until you can. If you don’t like the lack of upgrade options then fine, buy a PC and eff macs! If it isn’t yours and you don’t have permission then you are stealing. Flat out theft. And in some countries they cut off your hands for that

skit75

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
[citation][nom]Zoki[/nom]amabhy; Last qauter, Apple has sold over 3 million Macs. In a recession.Psystar, the company is selling Apple's OS - without Apples permission. And making money. Psystar has no standing or any legitimate/legal grounds. Apple does not want to sell you their OS - they make the software and sell the hardware with it. That is what they do, and sell. They don't want to sell you their OS without its hardware. Why is that so hard for people to understand?And, Apple has every right - legally - to do what they are doing. It is their product, they have designed, created and produced it. And it is their property, not yours or Psystars. Also, when you purchase an OS "upgrade" from Apple, you are licensing that upgrade. You do not own any part of the OS, even when you purchase it - read the EULA. Read the EULA, you will notice that it states that the OS you licensed is to be used for Apple approved hardware. Psystar is breaking that EULA, and the law.Apple created the OS to run its own hardware, and not yours. Deal with it, or don't use any Apple products.[/citation]
Hi Zoki,
You may want to view this article http://www.out-law.com/default.aspx?page=10421 which pertains to a ruling by the US District Court of Washington last month. I'm not an attorney but, basically this guy won his argument that he could re-sell a legitimate piece of software if it includes the software's original license. Again, I'm not a lawyer but Psytar may indeed have an Ace up the sleeve.

ohiou_grad_06

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2006
Hey guys don't get me wrong I love my PC, but you guys who say Apple is junk don't know what you are talking about. Now before you bash me, I started on PC. In fact I've got a desktop running Vista for my games. I have owned PC's since the days of the old AMD K6 prcessors. So 12 years or so. I started learning an Apple in High School, maybe a little before. But still always thought my PC was good. I try to keep a modern system. However when I got my current job working for a school district, I got my Apple certification. I will say while Apple may not have done the greatest job on everything, they have certainly been forward thinking and have some great products. I have a MacBook from work that I've had nearly 2 years, very few problems out of it, and it's still running fast. I certainly don't see many PC's out there with a magsafe style power adapter.

Anyone else got the chance to sit down with a new iMac? I can guarantee you one thing, these new Macs are a lot different than taking apart an average PC. Yeah, the boards and chips might be made by someone else. But it appears to me Apple is designing them. So it is Apple's design if nothing else. If Apple wants to keep things closed, that is their business. You don't want to build a car or truck and show your competition how you put it together so that they can make exact copies, sell for half price and drive you out of business. If Apple does not want to license to 3rd parties, that should be their right.

Don't get me wrong, I probably would not pay the price for a Mac myself, but for the people who say Apple is junk, until you sit down and play with it and see how nice they really are, don't knock it.

G

This for those of us with long memories smacks of the reverse engineering of the bios by compaq in the early days of pc's to produce the first "ibm compatable"... now if compaq did not win the legal disputes, to this day we would all be using IBM branded boxes or apple ones, depending on ones leanings. the Chameleon, rebel, PC-EFI, EFI-X etc are NOT line for line copies of apples EFI and proprietry code, rather like the early compaq bios clone of IBMs its a reverse engineered solution, it spoofs mac osX into thinking its running on mac hardware, same as the compaq bios fooled dos into thinking it was running on an IBM PC, like those early IBM's the new macs use off the shelf hardware, intel cpu's, ram, hard drives etc, and the only thing diffrent to a PC is the proprietry code in the EFI and the slick interface of os X running on top of a open source BSD base, and a fancy case, i hope like IBM in the 80s, Apple are forced to open up the OS to run on non apple hardware, let them charge more, say $150 instead of $29 (or £s if your in the UK like me), they whinge it would be less stable, so what let the end user take the risk if they choose to do so, or publish an official Hardware Compatability List, updated regularly to reflect changes in processor, memory, mainboards etc, and only support it on that mixes of hardware, it would still be cheaper than a "proper" mac. in short, i can see this gettin messy, like IBM its a bit late the horse has bolted, as soon as Apple moved from power PC to x86 it was a matter of time before os X was running on stock PC commodity hardware. wise up apple, let the OS run free, charge more for it, publish HCL lists, make your money from support, selling ipods and iphones, and let those that are willing to pay over the odds for outdated hardware pay it for a shiny box. but on the other hand increase market share, sell the os to anybody that wants it, who knows it may just be the best thing they ever did.

Herbert_HA

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2009
Can't believe how many people who screams and shouts would never use OS X or any other Apple products cares so much if it's OS is legally usable with non-Apple branded computers.
Bunch Apple consumers wannabes or else they wouldn't care. If the OS is crap, as you say, why the hell do you want it to be more available? Or is it that it pisses you off because they make a lot of money by being exclusive and you are not part of "the cool guys who have one"?
Get it through your heads: they make exclusive, etiquet computers and an OS to be used with them and whoever has the will and money can go to a shop and buy it. That's quite the opposite of being communist.
And what about that, Communists? C'mon, do you even know what that means??? Just throwing some "bad word", because you can't afford a Mac, but wish you could.
Antitrust??? you are the same ones that don't stop claiming Apple has ridiculous market share, how the heck are they a monopoly??? They don't make an OS, they make an OS to be used with their computer, period! Is any cellphone proprietary OS meant to be used with cellphones they weren't designed to? Freaking NO! Try to do that and ANY cellphone maker will jump at your throat. And why don't you lash out at MS for monopolising the game market by aggressively making creators to use DirectX in the 90's and not letting any other OS to have that? And that comes from a company that, as is so many times pointed out, have 90%+ of market share. That, my friend, is monopoly.

Face the truth: you are just angry that someone bought something you want but can't buy and is happy with it. That's childish. And the ones who really don't want anything to do with Apple products just couldn't care less if he or she is able or not to use it with his or her computer. These people won't mind my commentary, because it doesn't affect them. But feel free to - this and hide your shame.

Herbert_HA

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2009
[citation][nom]Robot_637[/nom]See, my complaint about apple has never really been the operating system, it's a rather nice OS. My problem is that they want me to buy an incredibly overpriced machine that I can't upgrade in order to run it.[/citation]

Yeah, that's the reality for most people, the same way most of us won't buy a Ferrari. After all, it's just an overpriced car! If you really want one, you can save and buy one, right? The point is, you won't go to their factory, demand they sell their engine to you at a fair price so you can install it in a VW Beatle and have a fast car, just like a Ferrari.

Herbert_HA

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2009
[citation][nom]datawrecker[/nom]I would like to see Microsoft block the install of its OS on Apple Machines. Even better, stop selling Office for Mac, put it in the EULA that installing any Microsoft product on an Apple product is not authroized. If it is perfectly legal for Apple to do why not Microsoft? I would love to see the error message. "Sorry. This media is not authorized for use with asshole...I mean Apple products."[/citation]
My god, if you think MS Office is "the killer app" of Windows, I feel sorry for you...

Status
Not open for further replies.