Macbook Pro 13" for Studying

Fabian95

Commendable
Mar 4, 2016
do you think i should get a MacBook Pro 13" with 16gb Ram and 512gb SSD if iwant it to use for 3, maybe even 4 Years ? I am a economic science student and i want the very best Performance that i can get for the next 3 Years of my Studium. The i5 with 3.1 ghz should be fine, the benefit to get an 2/4 i5 with 3.3ghz for 120 bucks or even an 2/4 i7 with 3.5ghz for 360 bucks should not be worth it.
ANTWORTEN

Solution
Macbooks are about the worst place to get the best performance, especially performance at a given price. Apple refuses to cut vent holes in the bottom of the case, which results in the interior running hotter than an equivalent PC laptop. They try to counter this by using special low-power Intel processors, but the Macbooks are still performance capped at a lower level than PC laptops (especially the 15" Pro model, which just doesn't get updated enough to keep up with PC laptops).

But as stated above, you're the one who has to use it, and you need to be happy with it. If you'll be happier with a Mac, then by all means get a Mac. Personally I think the Macbook Pros are only worth it for graphics arts students, photographers, and...

n0ns3ns3

Commendable
May 25, 2016
2K is alot and exactly what I meant :)
if you still want to get one, go for the one with i5 + 16GB + largest SSD as those are not really upgradable.
BTW, the touchbar is useless gimmick and actually a downside if you are using keyboard shortcuts.

jaslion

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012

What will you be using the pc for? 2000 euro for a typewriter is insane (also the touchbar is one of the most useless features ever you use it 10 times and then forget about it).

Fabian95

Commendable
Mar 4, 2016
I messed around with some 800€ Windows 10 Notebooks, never ever do it again. And i looked at some other Laptops like the Surface Laptop, XPS 13, Yoga 910 but i trust a Macbook more.

Macbooks are about the worst place to get the best performance, especially performance at a given price. Apple refuses to cut vent holes in the bottom of the case, which results in the interior running hotter than an equivalent PC laptop. They try to counter this by using special low-power Intel processors, but the Macbooks are still performance capped at a lower level than PC laptops (especially the 15" Pro model, which just doesn't get updated enough to keep up with PC laptops).

But as stated above, you're the one who has to use it, and you need to be happy with it. If you'll be happier with a Mac, then by all means get a Mac. Personally I think the Macbook Pros are only worth it for graphics arts students, photographers, and videographers (the screens come pre-calibrated for 100% sRGB). But I will never advise a client to get something they don't want. My job is to present them with information so they can make an informed choice. The choice is ultimately theirs to make, not mine.

Be aware that the newer MBPs have everything soldered to the motherboard. That includes the memory, SSD, and CPU. So think of whatever specs you think you'll need for the next 4 years and get them now. You won't be able to upgrade it in the future.

Solution

Fabian95

Commendable
Mar 4, 2016
So i got the Option to get the standard Macbook Pro Late 2016 (quad i7, 16gb ram) for "only" 200 euro more than the 13" macbook pro 13 with i5 and 16gb ram. is it worth it if i at least use it for 3 or 4 years ?