Question MacBook Pro (13", Mid 2012, MD101LL/A): Questions before I buy

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeworld

Estimable
Mar 5, 2016
Hi,

I plan to get this refurbished from a vendor. Since I don't have much knowledge of Mac (and computers in general), thought to ask.

Specs:

Screen size: 13 inch

Memory:8GB 1600 MHz LPDDR3 SDRAM

Storage:120GB Solid State Drive

Processor:2.5GHz Intel Core i5 Processor

Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 4000 graphics processor

Pre-Loaded/Licensed Software: Pre-loaded with macOS 10.14.6 Mojave

This MacBook Pro will run the most current OS Catalina 10.15

Price: US$635

Warranty: 90 days

My questions:

(1) I plan to upgrade the RAM to 16GB. Does this unit allow RAM upgrade to 16GB from the current 8GB?

(2) I plan to remove Optical/DVD player. In this case, would using the
existing drive of 500GB slow down the computer speed?

Also, would removing Optical/DVD player imbalance the balance of the system due to higher weight on one side?

(3) Once Apple stops support of Mojave/Catalina, then would this system be still workable?

(4) Upon Intel HD Graphics 4000 graphics processor getting too old, is it replaceable in this model?

(5) I am looking for a unit that lasts at least 4-5 years, is it worth getting this unit since it is 8 years old now?

I am assuming that it is the i5 3rd generation, and upgrading the processor isn't possible?

Any other thing should I keep in mind before purchasing it from the vendor?

Appreciate your time.

Sep 26, 2020
Personally, I wouldn't get an 8-year old MacBook especially if you want it should last another 4-5-years. Also, RAM and the graphics card cannot be upgraded.

But if you still want to, the one thing you want to check out is the Cycle Count in the 'Power' section of the System Report.

This will tell you if the battery needs replacement or not. Usually, MacBook batteries last around 1000 cycles, it will at least save you a few bucks.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2020
Hi,

I plan to get this refurbished from a vendor. Since I don't have much knowledge of Mac (and computers in general), thought to ask.

Specs:

Screen size: 13 inch

Memory:8GB 1600 MHz LPDDR3 SDRAM

Storage:120GB Solid State Drive

Processor:2.5GHz Intel Core i5 Processor

Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 4000 graphics processor

Pre-Loaded/Licensed Software: Pre-loaded with macOS 10.14.6 Mojave

This MacBook Pro will run the most current OS Catalina 10.15

Price: US$635

Warranty: 90 days

My questions:

(1) I plan to upgrade the RAM to 16GB. Does this unit allow RAM upgrade to 16GB from the current 8GB?

(2) I plan to remove Optical/DVD player. In this case, would using the
existing drive of 500GB slow down the computer speed?

Also, would removing Optical/DVD player imbalance the balance of the system due to higher weight on one side?

(3) Once Apple stops support of Mojave/Catalina, then would this system be still workable?

(4) Upon Intel HD Graphics 4000 graphics processor getting too old, is it replaceable in this model?

(5) I am looking for a unit that lasts at least 4-5 years, is it worth getting this unit since it is 8 years old now?

I am assuming that it is the i5 3rd generation, and upgrading the processor isn't possible?

Any other thing should I keep in mind before purchasing it from the vendor?

Appreciate your time.
A very good choice. But I would stay away from refurbished macs. For almost the same price you can purchase a brand new one check it out here affiliate link removed by moderator it has double the storage of what you intend to buy ..Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.