Macbook pro 2010 vs 2011/2012

citroones

Estimable
Apr 21, 2014
Im considering switching my microsoft surface pro 3 for a macbook pro 2010/2011 or maybe even 2012.

you might think im crazy, the surface is better no doubt, but i need to use finalcut pro so that isn't really an option and money is tight.

would a 2010 be usable? and how would the speeds be with an SSD and the i7 620m model (considering it only supports sata 2)

the real question is, is there any noticeable performance gains with a 2011 over a 2010 ? :)

PhysX_HW

Estimable
Sep 23, 2015
I can't imagine why you'd do it. The SP3 is such an amazing device, I'm writing this on mine, actually.

Anyway, back to your question, if it's sata2, the top speeds would be around 250MB/s, which is still not bad, because the latency is much more important here. But the i7 620m is an old CPU, and uses a lot of power compared to the 4xxx CPUs in the SP3, so your battery life would be quite a bit shorter. I wouldn't buy the 2010 model with the core 2 duo processors, because those are too old. The 2011 model was a huge leap in terms of architecture, since it uses core I processors that are more energy efficient and also noticeably faster. So, don't buy anything from before 2011.

citroones

Estimable
Apr 21, 2014

True, i just recently got a pretty good offer on a Macbook pro 2011 17 inch with a quad core, 2gen i7, 8gb of ram and a 256gb SSD for 400$

despite the age i reckon the i7 would be way faster than my current i3 ?

the machine also comes with a Radeon 6770m (also faster i guess?)

grimakis

Estimable
Sep 29, 2015

https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/compare/1132151?baseline=1128305

According to Geekbench, the SP3 is much weaker.

D_5___

Commendable
Nov 25, 2016
I happen to be shopping for a MacBook Pro on the secondhand market and for what it's worth I've ruled out the 2011s because Apple had a class-action lawsuit filed in 2014 as a result of so many GPU failures for which the only solution was to replace the logic board (and many people ended up with more than one board replacement). Some ~40,000 people signed a Change.org petition asking Apple to repair the fault because it was so widespread. (As to how common the problem actually is as a percentage of the 2011 MBPs I haven't been able to determine — if anyone has more info. on that point, specifically, feel free to weigh in because my searches on that — which led me to find this discussion — haven't turned up any information as to how "inevitable" the issue may be.) Some say it was the lead-free soldering, others found that the factory had put way too much thermal paste on the MBPs in production, still others thought that a flaw in the graphics cards were to blame.

First-generation MacBook Pro Retina (2012) was impacted too, as were some 2013 models, but as far as I can tell looking at Apple's support document the impacted models didn't include 2012 non-Retina MBPs. If I were you — shopping for a classic MBP — I'd also look for the anti-glare "high resolution" screen option because while it's not Retina-resolution it's better than the standard 1400x900 on the glossy MBPs. With respect to the GPU problems, Apple is extending their repair program through the end of December 2016. After that I assume that they won't be supported due to age, regardless. Hope this helps!

Source: https://www.apple.com/support/macbookpro-videoissues/

Did the lawsuit say which particular 2011 models were affected? I only ask because I have a late 2011 MacBook Pro and have had no issues with the GPU. I'm not denying others have but either I have been very fortunate or the late 2011 models may not have the issue.

grimakis

Estimable
Sep 29, 2015

The Late 2011 are affected. Just keep in mind this is an issue with the 15" models with Dedicated GPU. It doesn't affect the 13" with integrated graphics as far as I know.

I have the Late 2011 15" and mine was affected. They at first did not cover the repair of mine. I had to pay $350 out of pocket.. However, after they announced the free repair program, I called up and they refunded the repair without any resistance. They simply checked on their file to see if the symptoms I had were consistent with the repair program. It took about 5 minutes for them to confirm it was the case, and they mailed me out a check.