MacBook pro booting problem

Garon Booth

Estimable
Apr 1, 2014
Hey guys I have a friend of mine that has a MacBook pro and he asked me for some help. He explained the problem, that he would turn the laptop on, but the computer would only show a backlit grayish screen (none of the buttons worked except for the power button) any ideas on a fix? thanks for any replies.

Solution

There should be a smily face or flashing question mark or an iconic representation of choosing a hard drive or partition. If this happens it means the computer can't find a bootable OS. This means the hard drive has failed in some way. Might need a reinstall.

What you are describing is the computer failing to pass Power On Self Test (POST). For a Mac it matters what the chime (first chord) sounds like. If it is a single...

ginghus_khan2000

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2011

There should be a smily face or flashing question mark or an iconic representation of choosing a hard drive or partition. If this happens it means the computer can't find a bootable OS. This means the hard drive has failed in some way. Might need a reinstall.

What you are describing is the computer failing to pass Power On Self Test (POST). For a Mac it matters what the chime (first chord) sounds like. If it is a single chord, should be OK. If it is arpeggiated then there is something wrong, If it beeps three times the memory failed, if it beeps 4 times.…. well, you get the idea. You have to look up the codes for your Apple.

Solution