Macbook Pro Early 2011: Should I Update my computer to an SSD/SSHD or my Ram?

Mar 6, 2018
I have a early 2011 macbook pro, and I’ve been meaning to get an upgrade. I’m on a strict budget and I can only spend $100-140 dollars or less.

Should I update my Ram to 8/16gb or get a 250GB SSD to replace my HD? OR should i buy a 500gb SSHD w/ an update to 8gb of ram? (If so suggestions on SSHD’s?) I will only be using this computer for 3 more years so I definetly don’t want to spend extensive money. Based on what I am using my computer for (below), what do you guys think I should do? Is there a way I can update both my Ram and SSD under my budget? Are the specs on my computer (below) good enough for my usage, if I want no lagging/speed and good space for lots of files on my computer? Let me know! Thanks!

What I use my computer for:

- Doing research for Model United Nations

- Multiple tabs open (10+ at times)

- Want speed

- Taking notes on many things (I will be holding the class office position of secretary as well as the same position in my MUN club.)

- Organizing multiple things

- Planning budgets on excel (Plus other work that Treasurers do)

- Download a few files

- Minor editing through iMovie

- Usage in competitions (Speech and Debate/Model UN)

- Want no lagging to ensure no complications during competition

- Downloading of large dropbox file

- School work

- (Maybe) Art and a lil bit of graphic design idk

Specs:

2.3 GHz Intel Core i5

4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3

Macintosh HD

Solution
4gb ram is very limited, go 8gb and if you buy used ram remember to check / ask that it works with macbook pro. Some ram sticks wont work with apple. Also you should go with SSD since your laptop supports sata3 6gb/s which is faster than any sshd. 120gb would be best size for update if your on budget but i dont know if that is too much. You can also turn your DVD bay into hdd/ssd slot if you want to save your old HDD for extra capacity.
Mar 6, 2018
Also, I am considering maybe an 500gb SSHD due to its cheap price. And then upgrading my ram to 8gb. What do you guys think about that? any suggestions for SSHD’s? (Under $60)

g.syder

Great
Mar 12, 2018
I have an early 2011 macbook pro, just like you. I have an SSD and 8GB ram, it's made sooo much difference. Go and do it asap. You won't regret it, it'll be better than new.
I can't suggest what you should buy, seeing as I don't know where you are. I'm in New Zealand, you're probably not, so prices will not be the same.

fagetti

Prominent
Mar 1, 2018
4gb ram is very limited, go 8gb and if you buy used ram remember to check / ask that it works with macbook pro. Some ram sticks wont work with apple. Also you should go with SSD since your laptop supports sata3 6gb/s which is faster than any sshd. 120gb would be best size for update if your on budget but i dont know if that is too much. You can also turn your DVD bay into hdd/ssd slot if you want to save your old HDD for extra capacity.

Solution