Solved! Macbook pro vs pc laptop

geostorm

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2010
son on his way to college first laptop,he is bugging me for a mac pro I am on the fence did some research and I am still confused. the cost is what I intend to spend anyway. concerns abut his needs as he goes through college. he is a gamer !

Solution

Hi there,

A more affordable option for your son might be one of the new Sony Vaio laptops. You can upgrade the graphics so that he can play games but the price will still be a great deal. I recommend you check out the Sony Vaio EB series.

Cheers,
Isabella
MSFT Windows Outreach Team

IsabellaWinTeam

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2010

Hi there,

I recommend you go with a gaming PC, such as an Alienware. Alienware laptops are made for gaming, although they are slightly on the heavier side. Are the games he plays mostly web-based or graphics-intense games?

Cheers,
Isabella

geostorm

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2010
he needs it for school mostly, but he does not have or want to spend the money on alienware. starcraft is his latest game desire and he is trying to get it all froma mac

elliotth

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2010
Hello, I am in the SAME situation as your son. :) I also need a college notebook for classes, streaming videos, creating projects, and a little gaming.

I don't know what type of games your son is into, but I am into older generation shooters. I am also not to nitpicky about game graphic details; I just want decent and playable framerates.

Here is what I have come up with:

http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-U30JC-A1-13-3-Inch-Laptop-Silver/dp/B0036ZEANO

A PC laptop with switchable graphics. This means that the computer will automatically switch gears when playing games to give higher graphic processing power and then disable the higher-end graphics when the game is over in order to preserve battery life. The downside is, like with all mainstream laptops, they are not intended for hardcore gaming. As you find more laptops with higher gaming performance the price will rise and battery life, along with portability, will decline. After looking around, I have found this laptop has won at least 2 Editor's Choice awards for hitting the bulls-eye between value, power, portability, and battery life. And it doesn't look half-bad either. What more could a college kid ask for?

Other than the above, I am also pondering on a Macbook Pro 13.3" which is more expensive, but if I am able to install Windows and run it smoothly, then I think it will be a combination of the best hardware and best software. Macs just seem like they are made for college kids.

Hope I could help.

IsabellaWinTeam

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2010

Hi there,

A more affordable option for your son might be one of the new Sony Vaio laptops. You can upgrade the graphics so that he can play games but the price will still be a great deal. I recommend you check out the Sony Vaio EB series.

Cheers,
Isabella

Solution