MacBook Pro w/Tablet or Surface Pro 3

testudoAubreii

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
Hello,

I am really torn between a MacBook Pro 3 and a tablet or the Surface Pro 3. I plan on using the device for work and play. I am a web developer/designer. I have Photoshop, Illustrator, Dreamweaver, multiple browsers and browser tabs opened at the same time. Every once in a while, I will shoot and edit small web videos for websites. On the play side, I will be watching and listening to local and streamed files, as well as light gaming locally and using Steam In-Home Streaming for the rest of gaming.

I love the idea of the Surface Pro 3, because it has productivity and portability. It is essentially a laptop and a tablet in one. The model is the i7(dual core)/256GB/8GB RAM. I am also looking at the MacBook Pro i7 (quad core)/512GB/16 GB RAM, and adding the 16GB Nvidia Shield for the tablet to use for entertainment. On a side note, I really love playing in Garageband, too smile.gif.

The MacBook is bigger and heavier, but provides a pretty big boost in power. And, if I get that, I would have to buy a separate tablet. I can get the MacBook for $1800 w/warranty until April, compared to $2500 new.

I don't know...I am stuck and torn.

Thank you in advance for any and all help and advice.

orlbuckeye

Distinguished
May 1, 2009
Well the Surface has i3, i5 and i7 flavors. If you use .NET to develop you will have to run WIndows in a VM on an Apple. I would get the machine based on the apps you develop. WIndows app get the surface and apple apps get the Mac.

The Surface 3 with the i7 and 512 Gb Disk and 8 GB ram is 1949.

testudoAubreii

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012

I don't know lol...

I have Adobe CC through work, so I will not have to buy anything to go with it. Is the Surface Pro 3 powerful enough to run what I need? It is really tough, because I will be paying roughly the same price for a more powerful machine in the Mac, but I will have to buy a separate tablet.

orlbuckeye

Distinguished
May 1, 2009
Well the Surface has i3, i5 and i7 flavors. If you use .NET to develop you will have to run WIndows in a VM on an Apple. I would get the machine based on the apps you develop. WIndows app get the surface and apple apps get the Mac.

The Surface 3 with the i7 and 512 Gb Disk and 8 GB ram is 1949.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Laptop General Discussion 0
I Laptop General Discussion 1
B Laptop General Discussion 3
J Laptop General Discussion 1
D Laptop General Discussion 1
P Laptop General Discussion 2
R Laptop General Discussion 1
H Laptop General Discussion 4
A Laptop General Discussion 1
M Laptop General Discussion 1
M Laptop General Discussion 4