Solved! MacBook vs Surface Book for gaming

Psychicb

Prominent
Jun 9, 2017
I'm looking to replace my old MacBook and iPad, and would love to have a 2 in 1 that's great for graphics intensive games - After doing a bit of research, I'm wondering how the Surface Book would compare to a MacBook in regards to gaming(such as whether or not it's really worth it to spend the extra cash for the performance base with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 965M, whether or not there's an even better 2 in 1 for games, etc)

Solution

2 in 1 or some kind of laptop like that usually doesnt have dedicated gpu, and even tho if they have it usually it is only like mid or even low end kind of gpu. and chance of it throttling because of the overheat is kinda high. for sure...

nvincent_08

Commendable
Jun 21, 2016
why would you use those for gaming? werent they meant for working and professional acitvity? especially gaming in mac is limited. i suggest you to just get a gaming laptop that is pretty thin, not so thin but still have make sense thickness to bring on the go

Psychicb

Prominent
Jun 9, 2017

I've never had a gaming laptop before, so since my budget is a max of $2,800(not including taxes) and I love the idea of having a detachable touch-screen, I wasn't really thinking about getting a dedicated gaming laptop until now.

nvincent_08

Commendable
Jun 21, 2016

2 in 1 or some kind of laptop like that usually doesnt have dedicated gpu, and even tho if they have it usually it is only like mid or even low end kind of gpu. and chance of it throttling because of the overheat is kinda high. for sure gaming laptop is the only option to do heavy games, if you only do casual low end gaming a usual laptop could handle it

Solution

Psychicb

Prominent
Jun 9, 2017
Alright, so it seems like I should go for a dedicated gaming laptop then - I posted another thread, but so you don't have to go looking for it, what I said there was this:

"I live in the US and have a 13 inch 2012 MacBook Pro right now, so as long as the laptop would cost $2800 max(not including taxes) I'm not particular about the screen size or whether it would be considered a portable/desktop replacement as long as the laptop would weigh less than 8 pounds.

Since I want to be able to watch 4k videos, shows and movies I'd love a 4k screen, but it wouldn't be the end of the world for me if I could get a better laptop closer to a 1080p screen resolution.

As far as battery life, while I'd like it to last for over 4 hours... My higher priorities are speed, audio/visual quality, and reliability.

The games that I would want to play are DC Universe Online, Marvel Heroes, Sims 4, Minecraft and Ark Survival, each at the highest overall quality I can afford.

I've never had a computer capable of reliably playing modern computer games, but I'm thinking about getting a laptop with a 500 gigabyte to 1 terabyte storage capacity, and would like to keep it for 4 or more years.

Other than 2 USB ports,(whether USB 3.0 or USB C) I'm not terribly concerned about the optical drives, but since I've never had a computer for gaming before, I don't really know what optical drives I'd need.

I don't know much about the seemingly endless number of brands, but the last computer I had with a Windows OS was a "professional quality" Dell made in 2007, and since that scared me away from Microsoft for a while, I want to make sure that the company is as customer friendly as Apple has been for me and doesn't give me the runaround when I call them.(Bonus points if I can get help with it at a Microsoft Store)

I won't be buying a new laptop until ~December/January, so I realize there's likely to be some new computers by then, but figured I'd see which laptop(and customizations) I should buy for a mix of gaming and watching 4k content to make sure I can do as much research as possible for a newb such as myself"

Thanks for your help! Since I haven't thought about GPUs, or the heat computers put out when processing a heavy load of information, that's an excellent point!