Macbook won't let me unmount drive in order to erase it?

Retrowire

Honorable
Jan 27, 2013
Hello everyone,

So yeah, here I am with my sister in law's macbook pro. She needs it reformatted and to have the OS reinstalled. So I go about the dance of turning it on, holding down CMD + R while it's booting up to gain access to the disk utility.

And when I go to erase the primary drive, it attempts to do so, before giving an error stating that it can't unmount the disk.

So I'm at a roadblock, I don't know what to do here. Any suggestions? The best answer will be selected as such.

Thanks ahead of time.

Retrowire

Honorable
Jan 27, 2013

I have no disc's. Are there any other ways?

Wups

Honorable
Oct 14, 2013
Hi Retrowire,

You can download the OS X and create a boatable drive from a USB. Boot into the Recovery on the bootable drive and you'll then be able to erase the disk. That is the only way you'll be able to as you're booting off of that Hard Drive already.

- Wups.

Retrowire

Honorable
Jan 27, 2013

How do I boot into Recovery? Holding CMD-R while booting brings me to a utility where I can choose a drive to boot from, but the list of drives is blank.

Wups

Honorable
Oct 14, 2013
That means you don't have a recovery partition.

Chuck the OS X on a USB and create a bootable media disk using the "createmediainstall" command in Terminal.
It will erase the disk anyway when you install the new OS X.

Retrowire

Honorable
Jan 27, 2013

So can I boot up the computer in CMD + R, open the Terminal from there, and then run the createmediainstall command there to put a recovery drive on the USB drive? Care to give me a walkthrough just in case? Thanks for helping, sorry I didn't get back sooner.

Wups

Honorable
Oct 14, 2013

Exactly that.
No worries, bud. Follow this:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201372