Magnets and Laptops & Smartphones

Aug 29, 2018
i have a 14kg pull neodymium magnet: will it damage my Dell Latitude E6440 laptop or my WileyFox Swift 2 Plus smartphone? If so, how far apart do they need to be to avoid damage? Also, what strength magnet would you recommend to attempt to remove the tip of a thread picker that snapped off inside a tiny hole in the smartphone?

Solution
I wouldn't put any large magnets near electronic devices. Just not sensible.

Aside from disassembling the phone, if you want to get something out of it a small amount of sticky substance on the end of a needle or something?

Eximo

Distinguished
Herald
I wouldn't put any large magnets near electronic devices. Just not sensible.

Aside from disassembling the phone, if you want to get something out of it a small amount of sticky substance on the end of a needle or something?

Solution

tejayd

Proper
Mar 11, 2018
I corrupted a hard drive on a laptop with a large magnet before (Stuck it in my trunk to keep it safe).

I have read that it's hard to ruin newer hard drives with magnets. They even tried it in the article I was reading. And the magnet that ruined mine was large. From the back of an old speaker I had laying in my trunk. But it's definitely risky. And from my experience, I wouldn't try it on anything good.

Aug 29, 2018

Thanks for that! Glad I didn't try anything so daft! Thank you so much for taking the time to reply! I really appreciate that!

Luckily, I managed to remove the tip of the seam ripper without the use of magnets, or any tool other than fingernails, perseverance... and patience! Phew!

Have a good weekend! Thanks again for your help!

Best regards,

Aug 29, 2018

Ouch! :/ I'm trying to decide on the best & safest place to keep the magnet away from any electronics (including digital camera?). Perhaps a blanket box under all the blankets inside? The only electronic device I keep in my bedroom is my digital camera, a boombox, and nature-sounds clock-radio. The camera is kept in a small chest of (plastic) storage drawers. My smartphone will be on my bedside table at night while I'm sleeping.

Eximo

Distinguished
Herald
Look up Keepers. Basically metal plates to interrupt the magnetic field. It is how large magnets are typically shipped. Essentially you want that thing to have a gap around it. Ideally it should have something like a sleeve, keepers, and than a box with padding.

Aug 29, 2018

Thanks for that! The magnet is still in its shipping wrapper as I have not yet opened it. But, for belt & braces, I shall look up Keepers as you suggested. :)

Eximo

Distinguished
Herald

It may have some in the box.