Major Hardware Problem

G

Hi here are my specs:

AMD Athlon 1.33GHz
256MB PC2100 DDR memory
Epox 8K7A (consisting of AMD 761 and Via 686B)
Seagate 8.4GB ATA 66
Leadtek Winfast Geforce2 GTS
Creative 48x CD-ROM
Ricoh DVD/CD-RW
Integrated sound from motherboard
US Robotics Internal PCI Winmodem 56KBPS
Windows 2000
Not networked
On Saturday the computer was working fine and after surfing the internet for a bit I left my house leaving the computer on and when I came back seeing the monitor in suspend I attempted to wake up the computer as I assumed it had gone into suspend as usual but it would not wake up so I just switched the computer off.
The next morning I attempted to start the computer and after the dos looking startup where you can get advanced startup options it went into the more graphical startup displaying the Windows logo but when it was meant to display the desktop the computer carried on starting up but the monitor switched into the mode when the computer is off or on standby.
Then I reset and went into standby and it worked so I knew my graphics card was not broken and I uninstalled some programs which I had put on on Saturday but it still did not work so I enabled boot logging and started up normally and then reset into safe mode and checked the log and it said that Nvidia Geforce 2 GTS/Pro (as I had Nvidia 12.41 drivers installed) did not load twice so I assumed it was a corrupt driver so I tried to reinstall the 12.41 drivers but it did not work and then I tried deleting the adaptor from device manager in safe mode and loaded up normally and it worked but after a very short time Microsoft’s “amazing plug and play system” started mucking it around and without it saying it had found new hardware it reinstalled my 12.41 drivers and the monitor went blank.
Therefore I went back into safe mode and there the adaptor appeared and with the 12.41 drivers installed so I deleted the 12.41 drivers from my computer and the device from device manager and started up normally and quickly put in the CD which came with my card and installed the older drivers provided with the card. Then it worked perfectly.
Yesterday I then discovered that my audio hardware was not working though I am sure it worked before Saturday so I checked device manager and it said as usual Via AC’97 Audio Controller (WDM) and Via AC’97 Enhanced Audio Controller and both devices’ statuses were that they were working fine and both of them had drivers installed but when going into dxdiag there was not sound tab and under music there was only the Microsoft synthesizer and when testing the Directx music I was told there was no sound driver present and a similar problem was given to me in Windows Media player. I therefore decided to uninstall the devices and reinstall them with the drivers that came with my CD except I was able to delete the first device but not the enhanced one as it reset when attempting that.
So I uninstalled both in Add Remove Hardware and as the game port is connected to them it uninstalled that automatically and then I installed the drivers which was version 1.11c from my CD but windows only detected and installed the normal Audio controller and the game port and it said that the drivers were not digitally signed though with the drivers there was a digital signature file which when opened was reported as being an official HCL signature and this I found strange.
The sound worked after installing a driver fine and I was not asked to restart but later I had to restart for a different reason and then when trying to use sound it did not work and there were the same symptoms and there was only one audio controller present. I tried installing 1.20a drivers but I had the same problem but the drivers are loaded as I checked through computer management- system information- software environment- drivers and the following sound drivers were there when the sound was not working but the drivers installed:
audstub (audio stub driver) Running OK
Cdaudio Stopped OK
Kmixer (Microsoft kernel wave audio mixer) Stopped OK
Rca (Microsoft streaming network raw channel access) Stopped OK
Redbook (Digital CD Audio Playback Filter Driver) Stopped OK
Swmidi (Microsoft Kernel GS Wavetable Synthesizer) Stopped OK
Sysaudio (Microsoft System Audio Device) Stopped OK
Viaudio (Via AC’97 Audio Controller (WDM)) Running OK
Wdmaud (Microsoft Winmm WDM Audio Compatibility Driver) Stopped OK

This is the difference when they it is working:
Kmixer running
Swmidi running
Sysaudio running
Wdmaud running
Therefore there is something so that when the computer starts it obviously stops these drivers and they are necessary for the sound to work so if anyone can help me with that then it may work
Another thing was that when in safe mode there was something very similar to wdmaud’s description in device manager but that is not present when normally booting up. The boot log’s help turned out to be a bit of luck that it could be a corrupt driver as it still says did not load Winfast Geforce2 GTS though the display is fine but here is the list of things it did not load though they all work currently except the sound after rebooting:
Did not load driver Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) PC
Did not load driver Audio Codecs
Did not load driver Legacy Audio Drivers
Did not load driver Media Control Devices
Did not load driver Legacy Video Capture Devices
Did not load driver Video Codecs
Did not load driver WAN Miniport (L2TP)
Did not load driver WAN Miniport (IP)
Did not load driver WAN Miniport (PPTP)
Did not load driver Direct Parallel
Did not load driver WAN Network Driver
Did not load driver VIA AC'97 Audio Controller (WDM)
Did not load driver 3Com Windows Modem PCI ADI
Did not load driver Communications Port
Did not load driver ECP Printer Port
Did not load driver WinFast GeForce2 GTS
Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\lbrtfdc.SYS
Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\Sfloppy.SYS
Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\Changer.SYS
Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\Cdaudio.SYS
Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\sglfb.SYS
Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\tga.SYS
Did not load driver mnmdd.SYS
Did not load driver RasAcd.SYS
Did not load driver Tcpip.SYS
Did not load driver NetBT.SYS
Did not load driver NetBIOS.SYS
Did not load driver Parport.SYS
Did not load driver Serial.SYS
Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\PCIDump.SYS
Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\redbook.sys
Did not load driver Rdbss.SYS
Did not load driver MRxSmb.SYS
Did not load driver Microsoft WINMM WDM Audio Compatibility Driver
Did not load driver Microsoft WINMM WDM Audio Compatibility Driver
Did not load driver Microsoft Kernel System Renderer

I have searched the Microsoft knowledge base and found nothing as it is a hard topic to search for. I have not installed the latest Via 4-in-1 drivers because I do not think they will help. I have a registry backup from Saturday as I did access the registry and edit something but that was to do with something that as an advanced and experienced I know would not have such an effect though when I tried to restore it in regedit I was given an error accessing the registry. The problem is a windows problem rather than a hardware one or a problem with the drivers themselves as they worked before. I would rather not format the computer and I am not the happiest at just having go into hibernate or standby all the time. I do not think having a 230W power supply would be the cause of the problem as I have had it for a month and the first problem. If anyone knows an answer, if they could just tell me what drivers they have loaded by following my steps, look at their boot log and/or tell me anything helpful please do. Also there are no problems related to heat and I am not overclocking at all. I also installed service pack 2 to fix it but that did not help. If anyone wants more info please tell me.

P.S. I am extremely sorry for the length of the message but I just wanted to explain everything in as much detail.

ShadowOfLegends

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
try doing a system file check, goto run in the start menu, type sfc /scannow, make sure you have your os disk in your main disk drive. if that helps, cool, if not try going into suspend on purpose and then go out of suspend after a couple seconds. On my computer, i accidentally went into suspend mode and had to reset my comp because it froze. It turned off my network card, it was off for a long time, even after restarting, then i went into suspend on purpose and came back, poof my network card worked again.

rexter

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
Check your Device Manager if any of your hardware has Exclamation Point (!), hardware issue. Then get your sael a good registry cleaner like CCLEANER or REGISTRY MECHANIC to remove unwanted registry.

Disable Firewall, Antivirus, Antispyware from startup temporarily.

Reboot the try to disable the ploblem hardware then Enable it. If drivers installed properlly you're ok if not reinstall the driver. If no exclmation point revealed then your fine. You just need to clean up your registry.

After cleaning up registry check for run virus and spyware.