Solved! Major screen display issues

Jun 28, 2019
My laptop display is frequently freezing up, but the computer itself isn't; sound continues to play, keys still input, the mouse still moves and clicks, etc. Furthermore, while the display is frozen, it slowly fades to white. Manually adjusting the screen's position can help alleviate the problem, but often for only as long as I'm holding the screen in place, and it works less and less. Is there anything I can try to do about this, or is it just going to need to be taken to a repair shop?

Computer in question is an Acer Aspire 15 E5-774G-78YX .

Solution
If you have to physically hold the display to make it work correctly, then there is something wrong with either the display itself, or the cable that connects it.

If the laptop is under warranty, then contact the manufacturer about a repair.

If it isn't under warranty, then you can either open it up yourself and check the cable first. Make sure it isn't pinched, torn, loose at either end, etc. Once that has been checked, and if no problems found, then check the display. Are there any sections that are loose (front to back), other signs of damage? If none are found, Then you need to look at either replacing the cable or replacing the display.

You can also try taking it to a local tech, if not under warranty, and see what they would...
If you have to physically hold the display to make it work correctly, then there is something wrong with either the display itself, or the cable that connects it.

If the laptop is under warranty, then contact the manufacturer about a repair.

If it isn't under warranty, then you can either open it up yourself and check the cable first. Make sure it isn't pinched, torn, loose at either end, etc. Once that has been checked, and if no problems found, then check the display. Are there any sections that are loose (front to back), other signs of damage? If none are found, Then you need to look at either replacing the cable or replacing the display.

You can also try taking it to a local tech, if not under warranty, and see what they would charge to resolve the issue.

Also, if you don't wish to pay for the work/parts now, you can consider connecting an external display and use that for in the mean time.

Solution