making an internet start page?

jason41987

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2012
so, getting tired of using yahoo as a start page, id like to make my own, pick and choose the links and news feeds, remove the ads, etc.. but im not very well versed in html.. are there any applications that allow simple building of a start page or even a source of templates i can edit some of the links and titles for?

Solution
Lots of choices available. For example:

http://www.techradar.com/us/news/software/best-free-web-design-software-10-programs-to-get-the-job-done-1138669

There may or may not be some starter templates available. However you may find some online webpage templates that are free to download and then customize using one of the selected design applications.

You just create the page and/or modify the page as you wish. Then run that page on your own computer versus exporting to some host site.

Again. Start simple and add in the features and functions you require one by one.
There are plenty of online tutorials with basic HTML instruction. You can use NotePad or any text editor to create your code and set up a page that would be the default start for your browers. Check your local library and used bookstores if there are any around. Our local Goodwill store has books from time to time. Maybe you have a friend or family member with a HTML book.

Keep your first code attempts very simple: Very basic, no immediate fancy dancing icons, sound effects, and so forth. Just two or three links to sites you deem most useful or important for your needs.

Then expand as warranted.

However, you may not gain as much control as you would like. Once you are on another website they control the ads, pop-ups, etc..

You might take a closer look at the bookmarking options available in your browser. I also use shortcuts on my desktop for key sites; e.g., the Hurricane Center during the storm season. I have a desktop folder that I use to "store" shortcuts that are not used as often. Reduces desktop clutter.

Still it is a good idea so dive in and see what you can do.

Again - keep it simple and do not add something new until everything to date is properly working. Back up your HTML so you always have a good working copy to fall back on. Use revison numbers and dates on the pages you design to keep things orderly. Name the files in the same manner. Keep notes and references. Comment your HTML as well.

And have fun with it.

jason41987

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2012
well, the files for the website would remain on my computer, it wouldnt be hosted anywhere, nor would it need to be, but id like it to feed in some news feeds in one section, maybe buttons to visited links on another side, perhaps a weather bar or something, stuff like that.. like what the yahoo front page offers but with more control.. isnt there any software to make this easier or templates that can work as a shortcut?

Lots of choices available. For example:

http://www.techradar.com/us/news/software/best-free-web-design-software-10-programs-to-get-the-job-done-1138669

There may or may not be some starter templates available. However you may find some online webpage templates that are free to download and then customize using one of the selected design applications.

You just create the page and/or modify the page as you wish. Then run that page on your own computer versus exporting to some host site.

Again. Start simple and add in the features and functions you require one by one.

Solution