Malware-Infested Ads Found on Major Websites

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I have my ad blcker on right now. Only blocking 25 ads. On this site. Oups, scrolled down to the next article, now it's 39.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
I have my ad blcker on right now. Only blocking 25 ads. On this site. Oups, scrolled down to the next article, now it's 39.
Ad's do still pay the bills for all these websites.

while ads do pay the bills, I feel that websites that care enough to vet the ads before displaying them should be rewarded with ad views, for the sites and services which rely on automated ad placement, they deserve to have their ads blocked.

If they do not care enough to inspect the ads beforehand, then they we should not care enough to unblock their ads.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
If advertisers do not care enough to properly inspect the ads before publishing them, then users should not care enough to unblock their ads.

While most people are perfectly fine with ads as we understand that they fund the sites we like, the well for ads have been poisoned. Pretty much 99.999% of all ads, advertise the same crap that gets blocked by the spam filter in email. I do not mind non obnoxious ads, but some sites will run ads which have auto playing video or audio. What many sites do not understand is that they can no longer just give an advertiser full control over a section of their site. if the website owner does not care enough to vet each ad, then the users should not care enough to view the ads.

Website owners need to start meeting the users half way and earn their trust, show the users that you know that is being hosted and are not just giving someone free reign over part of your website.

G

There's a limit at which ads become excessive. If a part was reviewed here, and advertised at a good price for new eeg or amazom (need to bypass filters), well sure I would click it. And buy that part. That's why I'm here. To see if there is anything worth buying.

I never used to have AdBlck on, until they started putting ads in every benchmark result graph, and I wasn't able to see if higher was better etc. It's actively preventing me from getting information.

The problem is, it's all or nothing. Either I see all the ads, or none. But that's not my problem, now is it?

Vorador2

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2007
Sometimes i feel bad about using adblocker on pages i visit daily, and whitelist them.

Until the ads start playing music. Or videos, or pop ups. Then i turn it back on.

Stop using the high paying annoying ads, and i will stop using adblocker.

RCguitarist

Honorable
Apr 2, 2013
Adblock plus works great for me. And if you listen to pandora, ad block plus actually removes all commercials from playing, it's great. I do however leave my favorite websites such as toms, rock paper shotgun, etc on the whitelist to support them.

Adrienne Boswell

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2014
Recommendation: Use a hosts file. If your hosts file has an entry for badadnetwork.example.com as 127.0.0.1, your browser will just go to that IP address. No need for ad blockers or extensions. I still use Noscript to keep safe from malicious JavaScript, and I have Flash and the like only on demand. I haven't had a virus in over 10 years.

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
If advertisers do not care enough to properly inspect the ads before publishing them, then users should not care enough to unblock their ads.

The article clearly states:
"Website operators often have no direct relationship with, or control over, the ads that appear on their sites. The highly decentralized nature of the ad-placement process creates opportunities for malicious actors to inject themselves into the process."

f-14

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
i don't pay internet access for high speed to watch ad commercials or ad billboards. this is one of the main causes bogging down the internet. movie streaming and bit torrent are a drop in the bucket compared to ad spam ware. every one should punish advertisers with the removal of java and flash.

screw them, and their internet bog machines too!

Status
Not open for further replies.