Malwarebytes Anti-Malware keeps blocking random IP's from Skype?

Derp88

Estimable
Jan 15, 2015
So I tried the free upgrade off Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. After upgrading I keep getting notifications from Malwarebytes saysing its blocking IPs from Skype. What does this mean?

Heres a log:

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
www.malwarebytes.org

Detection, 6/3/2016 1:23 PM, SYSTEM, DYLAN-MGR, Protection, Malicious Website Protection, IP, 180.94.84.228, 27567, Inbound, C:\Program Files (x86)\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe,
Detection, 6/3/2016 1:23 PM, SYSTEM, DYLAN-MGR, Protection, Malicious Website Protection, IP, 180.94.84.228, 27567, Inbound, C:\Program Files (x86)\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe,
Detection, 6/3/2016 4:55 PM, SYSTEM, DYLAN-MGR, Protection, Malicious Website Protection, IP, 121.54.32.162, 27567, Inbound, C:\Program Files (x86)\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe,
Detection, 6/3/2016 4:55 PM, SYSTEM, DYLAN-MGR, Protection, Malicious Website Protection, IP, 121.54.32.162, 27567, Inbound, C:\Program Files (x86)\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe,
Detection, 6/3/2016 5:48 PM, SYSTEM, DYLAN-MGR, Protection, Malicious Website Protection, IP, 112.196.26.244, 27567, Inbound, C:\Program Files (x86)\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe,
Detection, 6/3/2016 5:48 PM, SYSTEM, DYLAN-MGR, Protection, Malicious Website Protection, IP, 112.196.26.244, 27567, Inbound, C:\Program Files (x86)\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe,
Detection, 6/3/2016 6:58 PM, SYSTEM, DYLAN-MGR, Protection, Malicious Website Protection, IP, 41.66.28.80, 52076, Outbound, C:\Program Files (x86)\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe,
Detection, 6/3/2016 6:58 PM, SYSTEM, DYLAN-MGR, Protection, Malicious Website Protection, IP, 41.66.28.80, 52076, Outbound, C:\Program Files (x86)\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe,
Detection, 6/3/2016 6:58 PM, SYSTEM, DYLAN-MGR, Protection, Malicious Website Protection, IP, 41.66.28.80, 27567, Outbound, C:\Program Files (x86)\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe,
Update, 6/3/2016 6:59 PM, SYSTEM, DYLAN-MGR, Manual, Domain Database, 2016.6.2.4, 2016.6.3.4,
Update, 6/3/2016 6:59 PM, SYSTEM, DYLAN-MGR, Manual, Malware Database, 2016.6.2.6, 2016.6.3.5,

(end)

Solution

Yes, they are 100% scam connections, trying to get into your system or entice you to open it up.
Malwarebytes is doing exactly what it is supposed to be doing.

You can't prevent them from trying, you can only prevent them from succeeding.
Do you see the IP 180.94.84.228?

I went to a iplocation website (iploacation.net) and the source seems to be Kabul, Afghanistan.

You can likewise check the other IP addresses.

If they are valid addresses for your work/needs then you will need to white-list them for use.

But be very careful and be sure beforehand.

Derp88

Estimable
Jan 15, 2015

The thing is I checked a few and their all from other countries mainly in Asia, Eastern Europe, and Africa but the only thing I use Skype for is to talk to my friends which all live in the U.S.

What I'm wondering is Malwarebytes blocking calls or what?

I'd also like to stop getting these connections from these IPs even though there probably not dangerous and just more than likely scam calls.

Yes I would say that it is Malwarebytes doing the blocking.

Be glad that Malwarebytes is doing its job and keep on monitoring the logs so you know that Malwarebytes is working. Could be that the scammers change tactics and start trying to use US IPs. Or other incoming ports.

And if your system gets some infection, outgoing traffic should be caught and blocked.

Agree: it would be great to be able to stop the attacks against your Skype connections/ports but unfortunately that is not going to happen.

[Sidebar: The bad guys are getting more and more intense, clever, and persistent. Just starting again getting calls from "Credit Card Services" after having them blocked (via Nomorobo) for many months. Now getting through to the answering machine almost daily. Apparently the scammers are buying up any available US residential level phone numbers they can get. And rotating through those numbers to avoid being flagged. Not confirmed per se but I am hoping to determine if that is indeed now the case.]

Anyway, maintain your defenses and look at the logs on a regular basis. Go online from time to time and look for articles,etc. regarding attacks via Skype just to help you recognize some future attempt or warning sign. Install security updates.

Lots of people have AV and malware software installed but have no idea if it is really working and functioning. Good thing for you is that your protection is working. Just let it continue....

Derp88

Estimable
Jan 15, 2015
My question is could these Ips be dangerous? Such as trying to infect my PC with malware? Im asking this because my Malwarebytes only has like 5 days of its free trial left.

Yes - the IPs could be dangerous and probably are as Malwarebytes has found some reason to flag the those IP websites as dangerous.

As to the specific intent I will not speculate as the end results to the target computer victim, no matter the intent, are simply not good.

With the ever increasing number of existing threats and constant creation of new threats stronger protection is probably going to become more of a requirement.

You may or may not be able to continue or otherwise renew your free Malwarebytes subscription. If you can, do so.

Start looking into it now so you will not end up unprotected.

USAFRet

Illustrious

Yes, they are 100% scam connections, trying to get into your system or entice you to open it up.
Malwarebytes is doing exactly what it is supposed to be doing.

You can't prevent them from trying, you can only prevent them from succeeding.

Solution