Man, 54, ''Marries'' Teen in RuneScape, Arrested

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
[citation][nom]sicundercover[/nom]Im more creeped out by the fact that people still play RuneScape.[/citation]

20 million players creeps you out? you're probably just a hater or haven't played since 2007.

I remember seeing people advertising "Marrying People!" and also remember people passing by saying "Reported" but now the RS economy is so young, pretty much only 30% of players ever use the report button.

I wonder what actions Jagex are going to take, they'll do almost anything to keep their players safe if someone suspicious is caught, especially if they break real-world laws (there's a report button for that).

duk3

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2010
What the hell

No idea how she decided she was in love with a 54 year old guy, probably older than her parents at the age of 13

Also, how do you live off of selling MTG cards? lol

lasaldude

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2009
[citation][nom]surfer1337dude[/nom]I really hope this guy gets the full twenty years with some younger guy that trades his bunk-mates for cigarettes...[/citation]

What! It's 2011! Don't think the little 13 year old girl is innocent in this. Like she didn't know what was happening wasn't wrong. My little sister's friend is 13 and has more sex than me. Boys around her age of course. But, with Facebook, MTV, High School, their friends, and the internet, none of these teens are innocent any more. 20 years of his life because he did stuff with a girl. That's a little harsh. It's not like he brutally raped and beat her into submission. She met with him 3 times over and over.

The real person to blame is the parents!

UmeNNis

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2007
You guys are looking at this the wrong way.
I say, props to the old guy, he's obviously either super suave or has aged really well hahaha.
It wasn't rape... well, other than in purely legal sense...lol
But yes... poor parenting is to blame....

thegreathuntingdolphin

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009
This is a crazy story.

He then personally delivered the phone by driving to Detroit in his van.

A van....I am not surprised.
In fact, the report indicated that he lived alone and paid the bills by selling "Magic The Gathering" game cards.

Wow...lives alone and pays bills by selling Magic The Gathering game cards...jeez this guy is too stereotypical to be believed!

extensive collaboration between the Wayne County Sheriff Office's Internet Crimes Unit, Michigan State Police, Wayne County prosecutors, U.S. Secret Service agents, federal prosecutors and police in Massachusetts and New York

Who is this guy? Secret Service? Really? I am glad this sucka is in jail where he belongs. What a perv.

Niva

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
There is a valuable piece of information in this article: you can make a living selling Magic the Gathering cards.

As for the rest? We don't know the story but it sounds sad on both ends.

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
[citation][nom]lasaldude[/nom]What! It's 2011! Don't think the little 13 year old girl is innocent in this. Like she didn't know what was happening wasn't wrong. My little sister's friend is 13 and has more sex than me. Boys around her age of course. But, with Facebook, MTV, High School, their friends, and the internet, none of these teens are innocent any more. 20 years of his life because he did stuff with a girl. That's a little harsh. It's not like he brutally raped and beat her into submission. She met with him 3 times over and over.The real person to blame is the parents![/citation]

I agree with what you are saying, she likely isn't innocent, but she is 13 regardless...
How easy is it for an adult to seduce a child? I don’t know but I am thinking it is pretty simple considering there DUMB! Children have no life experience to make rational decisions for themselves. How can a 54 yr old man possibly hook up with a 13yr old without “corruption of a minor” or “coercion”! At very last this is statutory rape!

This guy is the definition of predator! Seriously, give him his day in court and when/if found guilty shot him out back the courthouse.
If I was this girls father I would end him myself, no lies… have a kid, you’ll understand.

Johnpombrio

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2006
It does not matter HOW the two hooked up. There are creeps everywhere. Geez, the guy could have been a neighbor or a teacher or just anyone, really. What does matter is that the girl should have been taught and supervised enough that she would pass on the opportunity to meet alone with any male, no matter what the age. The Runescape pitch is just to add new spice to a very old and sad series of news stories.

dalauder

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
[citation][nom]lasaldude[/nom]What! It's 2011! Don't think the little 13 year old girl is innocent in this. Like she didn't know what was happening wasn't wrong. My little sister's friend is 13 and has more sex than me. Boys around her age of course. But, with Facebook, MTV, High School, their friends, and the internet, none of these teens are innocent any more. 20 years of his life because he did stuff with a girl. That's a little harsh. It's not like he brutally raped and beat her into submission. She met with him 3 times over and over.The real person to blame is the parents![/citation]The reason 13 isn't the legal age of consent is because 13 year olds lack the capacity to resist advances of older experienced people. How many 13 year olds would be attracted to a college student? Nearly all of them--whether they're male or female. So the law needs to protect people who can't protect themselves. It's the parent's fault for not being involved or knowledgeable of what was going on in here 8th grader's life yes, but anyone who takes advantage of people who've barely hit puberty should be in jail for a LONG time.

G

I award this man "Playa of the Year" Playa's goin play and hater's goin to hate.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
ok here is my take on this.

LOWER THE AGE OF CONSENT.

i knew at 12 weather i wanted sex or not. hell, at 12 i knew more about sex than most people ever know.

im not saying its not creepy and that they both really loved each other, but how is this that much different than a 13 year old getting together with someone their age range? i knew back than what i wanted, and i know now.

i honestly believe that their should be a mandatory test, to see if you qualify as a consenting individual. it should be given at 12 mandatory, and optional before 12 if you get your period or get hard. sex should be close to a felony offence if don't have a license saying you can consent. i'm 23, i cant even go to a bar to try to pick someone up because i'm afraid of the people who are under 18 with a fake id, my friend when he was 14 had one and could pass off as an adult easily if he didn't shave for a week. i'm afraid that one one night stand may end me up on the news for crap like this.

blackjellognomes

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2009
[citation][nom]Kevin Parrish[/nom]The overall story only reiterates to parents the need to have an Internet filter in place to protect children under 18 years of age from harmful content and social situations. If it means blocking them from Facebook and RuneScape, then so be it. They'll eventually get over it once they're grown and kicked out of the house.[/citation]No need to make this a blog post, Parrish.

kingnoobe

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
That is a serious alidan, and I agree. Hell even if you ask a woman for to see the ID. You'll still get the same crap if it's fake even if it's a very, very good fake.

But I don't agree with a mandatory test, unless something like this happens. Then have her take the test. Specially if she doesn't want to press charges but the parents do.

This doesn't really have nothing to do with runescape, other then how they met. Just more fuel for the fire.

And quit blaming the parents, and read that a little more carefully. Maybe you had a perfect childhood, but my mom also had to work 2-3 jobs while I was growing up. I still turned out alright, and never wanted to have sex with a grandma (unless she was really hot or rich).

Sure the parents could've took a bit better care but it sounds like the mom is simply trying to make a living to put food on the table. At some point the finger has to be pointed at the person who messed up. That was both the grandpa and girl. I can't believe for a second she didn't know better. She wanted it, and she got it.

anonymous13

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2011
Don't take this the wrong way I think this is horrible beyond a doubt. But unfortunately I've lived in Fitchburg for a couple years(not by choice). There are many people in that city of any age, who never progress beyond the mental capability or maturity of a 15 year old. There is no ghetto in Fitchburg, the entire city is a ghetto, and it's the largest city in the county. A county that has the highest rate of teen pregnancy in the state. And before any racist hate responses come, this is by far a majority white city neighborhood and county. In this region it is socially acceptable for 25-30+ year old men to date 14 15 year old girls, get them pregnant and marry them. It happens constantly. You can't possibly go this city and not feel depressed, it's horrific.

I am not defending this man, what he did was atrocious and he deserves to go jail. However I feel sad. Reading that he made his living trading magic cards at his age, gives insight into where he is in that community, a community I know, and those people in that particular city are severely handicapped. Imagine living in the world of "The Wire" as a ghetto youngster who lives to be middle aged with his main intellectual ability being magic cards. Dookie doesn't even come close to how inept this person must be.

Clearly the sex was consensual from this statement. I feel as tho this 54 year old man had the mind of a young teenager. So for him, especially considering the extensive conversations they surely must have had online, he was relating to someone of his own intellect.

I don't believe from what I read that he manipulated her in some sick fashion, but rather had genuine feelings for her.

Regardless none of this is any excuse, at the age of 54 you have more than enough opportunities to mature and grow into an adult. Regardless of your circumstances. He should under no circumstances should get away with this, and forever he should be labeled as a sex predator.

Rather I feel sad about the failure of America to take of itself, to take care of it's own people.

Fitchburg was the very first target to be bombed by Hitler in his war-plan to invade America. During WW2 it had over 40 factories producing equipment, planes, guns, ammo etc. For the military and was the most important manufacturing center for the war effort on the eastern seaboard. Today there is one factory operating in Fitchburg which produces a cheap vodka.

During the 50's and 60's that followed Fitchburg blossomed to have over 20 daily newspapers operating in town, It was cut down to 1 years before I lived there 10 years ago.

This is a violent white city.
"Fitchburg, Massachusetts has a violent crime rate of 3150 incidents per 100,000 people. This compares with a rate of 494 in Massachusetts and a rate of 676 nationally."
http://www.homesurfer.com/crimereports/view/crime_report.cfm?state=MA&area=Fitchburg
That is a rate 8 times the state average, and while the city only posts an unemployment of 11.4%. It is in fact far far higher, due to the complete lack of optimism of anyone in the city as well as the stubborn attitude of residents unwilling to leave the city. I predict that unemployment is at least 22% and underemployment is over 50% for the city of Fitchburg.

This whole story is disturbed. However if the government payed any attention to this city at all, they would find hundreds of similar and far more guilty perpetrators including baby-rapists with ease. This is merely a sign of the times...

Status
Not open for further replies.