Man Commits Suicide on Live Webcam

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

resonance451

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2008
I won't even bother responding point by point to the garbled text. The truth is, there is no justification to egg the guy on, and though suicide is wrong and wasteful, it's hardly selfish or stupid. It's crumbling in response to overwhelming pain and losing the good fight. kami3k, you should understand that as well as anyone else if you've been anywhere near what you say you have. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. If I knew you personally, I can't say I'd have been critical of you had the attempt been successful. I'm sure I'd be angry and frustrated and think it's a waste, but I would hardly call you stupid for it, because there wouldn't be any good or any justification in doing so.

Perhaps instead of people having such an insensitive view toward suicide and life's struggles, a little bit of love and understanding could turn things around for a lot of people. Think how many wonderful people have ended their lives far too soon. A kind word could have turned it around, and that fight is never stupid.

The way I look at it when I think about this guy that just died is, somebody out there gave in to the feeling of the moment and forgot the very fiber of who he was, and that person has a place in this world. This is a fellow human being we're talking about here. I know more than anything about making rash decisions, and living or dying just for a feeling, and when it's powerful enough, it's sometimes worth it every step of the way. So perhaps a little less harsh judgment is called for, and a little bit more understanding is needed.

Side note: rest in peace, fallen brother.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
Sadly this sort of thing will probably become more and more common. While some of the peoples comments were sick I don't think that they had any effect in the end. The kid had the plan and executed it.

The worst part of this is that his planned worked and is sure to get copy cats. In fact spreading this around as news could be more harmful than informative as a suicidal person could read this and go "well it worked for him and now people care"

every_one

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2008
At the risk of distracting from the tragedy here, I would like to acknowledge the clarity and understanding of resonance451.

The internet is a vast place; the chances of finding someone so gifted and articulate are slim to none, perhaps more rare is finding someone that broadens my perspective and understanding of (I know this sounds cliche) the world around me.

Thank you resonance451.

G

Suicide is selfish. (only in rare cases noone cares)

IMO nothing could change that "man's" decision. It's too planed, calling for attention. You can never know what can help someone you doesn't even know. Maybe the encouraging could have helped by manking him angry and not doing it, while pepole trying to talk him off could on the other hand encouraged him (as getting the attention he wanted - and showing to the world how he was desperate).
Sorry, but IMHO no one can help anyone who posts on internet he's going to comit suicide. That's not an excuse for encouraging, but trying to help can have the same effect. And thinking of all the "anons" just trying to get attention... worthless.

2resonance451> Health problems is a reason I can't argument against. If someone has 'hard-wired' suicide I can't help him. Internet can't help anyone. It's just a chaos of wannabe anonymous supermans. People close to suicide shouldn't use internet too much, especially not getting involved into discussions. IRL people are a little bit better in recognizing eventual problems.
Back to you - if you commit suicide I couldn't do anything. I wouldn't call you stupid. I would still call it selfish - it still seems to me there are people who care for you. But I may understand it. That's still leting it be wrong.

2kami3k> Saying anyone to die is wrong. You have no excuse for this one. Anyone can have his opinion, and can express it. I see no reason for you feeling so insulted.

And to be clear - I never commited suicide. I was thinking of one a long time ago, but wouldn't commit it of because of few psychological reasons. One of them beeing: everyone would be talking what could have been of you if you haven't commited sucide. Well, I'm going to persuade you how miserable my life is.

thegh0st

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2008
Ummm - to the dude every_one - huh? friend or fanboy or the other dude?

And to the other posters - why would you jump on kami3k's case? I believe I read the same posts and resonance451 said and I quote "Go die in a fire, you insensitive prick. The world could stand to lose a few people like you." - so ummm how come no one commented back to him about a comment I consider very insensitive. Not to mention he commented this before kami3k. Sure two wrongs don't make a right and all but criticizing only one of them isn't very helpful either. It seems very judgemental.

And speaking of judgemental, in my opinion suicide is selfish. I agree with kami3k as I believe many psychology text books and teachers do also. As for stupid though that is completely debatable. Ignorant might be a better term but that can be argued also. I found this on a random search - it is not my words but I'm just relaying this as an example - "It is selfish because it is deeply tied up with how one sees oneself. As the psychologist Dorothy Rowe has pointed out, suicide is a desperate defence of one's identity in the face of encroaching chaos and terror of psychological annihilation. It is to choose physical death over psychological change."

Anyways back to the person the story is about everything being said here is speculation. I think there is more going on here than we have the information to. If he was posting and streaming a live video feed he obviously wanted attention. I do not think a person who is truly making an attempt to commit suicide is going to go through all the trouble this person did. I think they are just going to try to do it. Of the few people I had any sort of contact with that I know did such an act - none of them made big or elaborate productions of their final acts. It almost seems like this was a version of Russian roulette to this guy being as he had tried this before. Or perhaps he thought since he had done this before he could get away with it again. Maybe he thought he could build a tolerance up and do more and more of those drugs. Maybe since he had done this before he didn't believe in the dangers or warnings of taking the amount he did. And just maybe he was truly ignorant in a sense. Thats all it is - a lot of maybe's without all of the information.

Lastly, I also agree with the comment about how the media most likely will just make this kind of thing worse. The mainstream media has really been pretty bad for a while now.

G

Moderators, please disable posting on this thread. These comments are getting out of control.

G

lol... to people yelling at and belittling the people in the thread for encouraging the guy: retards. I'm going to go drink a gallon of paint stripper with an acetone chaser. Wanna watch?

Status
Not open for further replies.