Man Drowns Following GPS Instructions Into Lake

Status
Not open for further replies.

jossrik

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2002
I think the answer to the question is "How many other foreigners without GPS have driven into the lake and drown?" That should show where the blame lies. Heck, how many have driven into the lake and drown ever? I can see people drowning in the lake, but driving into the lake and drowning, that's a different kinda silly.

G

Unlike plane instruments, Google maps is not a driving instrument. If the driver cannot see, he needs to pull over.

zachary k

Distinguished
May 14, 2009
wow, tom is taking Michel Scott form "the office" serios...wait... thats a different guy? wow, well....i guess someone IS that stupid. technology can't replace common sense.

Trashit

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2009
Planes can pretty much fly themselves these days yet we still use pilots. A car on the other hand is about as sophisticated as a hamster wheel yet people are quite happy to follow their GPS blindly. I think people don't realise that even a brand new GPS units is only as good as its latest map version update.

G

When there is heavy fog, i slow down to a safe speed in which i can see. This guy on the other hand, was too dependent on the gadget to actually take time to see outside the windshield and slow down. Well at least he saw fishes swimming...

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
[citation][nom]Trashit[/nom]I think people don't realise that even a brand new GPS units is only as good as its latest map version update.[/citation]

Or as smart as the people using them are, but sometimes accidents happen too.

Icylobster

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2009
LOL, I saw this on the main page and instantly thought of The Office. It is however sad that in this case the guy drowned. As far as people go by saying how dumb the guy was. Its not like it was mid day, the article states it was at night, the guy was not familiar with the area, etc.

skine

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2009
[...]visibility was clearly quite bad at the time of the accident so it's hard to fault the driver.

It is the responsibility of the driver to adjust his driving to the environment. If he cannot stop in time to avoid a stationary object, then he was clearly at fault - whether he was driving too fast or was somehow distracted.

Sure, he may have had no reason to assume there was a lake in front of him. Every time I drive, I keep in mind that there may be a vehicle, person, animal, road damage, a snow drift, fallen trees/rocks or some other object in my lane. When it rains or snows, I drive as if the road is slippery. When it's dark, foggy or snowing/raining hard enough to effect visibility, I drive only as fast as I can see.

Regardless of whether the GPS is found to be liable, above all else, it is the responsibility of the driver to drive safely.

@Jane: I tend to like your articles, but I pray that you don't have a driver's license.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
Why in the HELL would you drive in poor visibility to begin with? Why can't people learn from others' past mistakes? Five Words: The Day The Music Died.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]bourgeoisdude[/nom]Sad that it happened, I feel bad for the family. Really. But if they try to sue the GPS maker for this, I won't have any sympathy.[/citation]

agreed. plus the gps company would win since they a clause which states that they aren't accountable for any errors with the unit and that the unit may not be accurate all the time

Status
Not open for further replies.