Man Fined $1.5M for Leaked Mario Game Upload

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Good for Nintendo. From someone in the industry, it's nice to see some justice with stuff like this

djackson_dba

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
[citation][nom]rodney_ws[/nom]Sweet Jesus! This makes the Gestapo sound like a bunch of 4th grade hall monitors.[/citation]

Um... the Gestapo killed and tortured people. Hardly a good comparison. If you had money invested in something or if you had money in the bank and someone took it from you, I'm betting you would not be as charitable.

necronic

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
1.5 mil does seem a bit ridiculous in terms of quantity. Jail time for grand theft makes more sense to me. Still though, glad to see the 'rats getting prosecuted.

sublifer

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2008
The details on how Burt was caught it somewhat scarce.
Easy, though they may be trying to keep it a secret... pre-release games have a digital hash. Each reviewer or point in the supply chain gets a copy with a different digital hash, this way they can track leaks and know who leaked it.

djackson_dba

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
[citation][nom]hakesterman[/nom]Yes heaven forbid that anyone steels Nintendo's thunder for a week............[/citation]

It is not about stealing their thunder, it is about stealing their product. At some level, the leak has bound to cost them revenue. Again, when it is your cash being lost, I'm sure your outlook would be different.

Vampyrbyte

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2009
Piracy only costs the owners money if the said pirate would have gone out and bought the game instead. It's wrong to say it "costs developers money" it costs them a sum total of £0. They simply Don't make as much money as they would have based on the presumption all pirates are sat on mounds of glorious cash and are just pirating to spite the big cat. This is not Cost. This is a Lack of revenue and that is completly diffrent.
Piracy can also not be considerd Theft, in any way. Take my analogy here.
If i stole your DVD, you would no longer have it, and i would!
If i copied your DVD, you would have your DVD, and i would have a copy of it.

Piracy is the later. The only person who had to actually PAY (ie, "cost"), was me for the DVD-R to copy to.

Developers and Publishers need to quit their moaning about piracy, and compete with it instead.

djackson_dba

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
If you copied my DVD instead of buying a copy from me, I have lost the revenue I would have collected on the sale. That is lost money to me. To make like it doesn't cost anything to pirate is baseless. And he didn't just pirate it. He uploaded a copy for distribution on the internet.

leafman420

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2009
ummm i still play nintendo. so most of you nintendo hater out there know, nintendo been here long before your playstationz(which sucks on levels you dont care to look at), but most of you are to young to know that.

so if i give it away its not pirating?

Status
Not open for further replies.