Man Watches Burglars Raid Home via iPhone

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trialsking

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2007
[citation][nom]sliem[/nom]Maybe get a real alarm system instead?[/citation]

3-4 pitbulls and a doggy door might work too! But then again the thieves might just bring Michael Vick to deal with the pitbulls!

rsud

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2007
[citation][nom]samdsox[/nom]well the apple fanboys are going to be all over this. But i bet you could do the same with an android smartphone.[/citation]

rsud

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2007
[citation][nom]samdsox[/nom]well the apple fanboys are going to be all over this. But i bet you could do the same with an android smartphone.[/citation]

Yea, of course it can once Apple showed the way!

More stuff for the widoze/andoze heads to follow with Apple in the lead.

And offcourse the Apple autumn event will bring even more stuff for windoze/andoze to scramble to catch up on. LOL!

rsud

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2007

Ooooh.... forgot to mention that the world still awaits the windoze/andoze answer to the guaranteed failure iPad product.

Glad Apple could show the way here also... LOL LOL!

f-14

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
ahahahahahaaaaa been doing this since before apple even had a phone, get a blackberry apple fanboi kevin parrish

+1 for this guy, great quote:
A better and more accurate title would have been "Man Watches Burglars Raid Home via Smartphone". But those rabid apple fan boys refuse to see that the Emperor has no clothes...

sublifer

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2008
You really ended this article sounding like an infomercial... That said, I wish I had the security system that I could take advantage of something like this...

osxsier

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009
Why are you all you idiots saying it could happen on a Andrioid?? Who gives a shit! It didnt happen on a Android, so get over it.

G

Great app great story.Very shocked he was able to call the cops on the iphone.Or did he use a payphone.Maybe a tinfoil hat and connector would help the i phone get a signal.I will give him a prepaid walmart phone.Not much it just makes calls.

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
Before "Man watches burglars raid home via iPhone", there was "would-be burglars track man's car via GPS". It's a tech-vs-tech world out there.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
[citation][nom]Marco925[/nom]Another Apple Product Saves The Day![/citation]
IT USED TO IT'S MAGICAL POWERS TO CATCH THE THIEVES!

ANDROID DOESN'T HAVE MAGICAL POWERS!

Travis Beane

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
2 minutes? Hot damn! iPhones even let you connect to dispatch faster!
Takes 10 minutes here to get a operator here ([province wide operator gets you to hold while waiting for a local operator).

I'd rather a rotty. Good luck taking my TV with a 150lb dog sleeping on the couch (trick is, what neighbor could you get to feed it?).

Marco925

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2008
It was sarcasm!

dthx

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
What's so new about this ??? Even 5 years ago, cheap video surveillance system were able to send a serie of mms or email with video when movement is detected. There was also a WinCE program to watch the live streaming in case of alarm... This article is a disguised commercial, nothing more.

Griffolion

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
Two sarcastic responses:

1) "Want to watch your house getting robbed? There's an app for that."

2) "*ALERT* - Your house is getting burgled because you're holding me wrong, now buy other apple products or fluffy gets it."

Also, @ RSUD - IP cams have been around ages, Apple simply jumped on a path that was already paved with a new gimmick (that has been shown to be fairly useless by this very article), its only just taken apple until this year to sort out video calling that has been around for at least 5 years (as far as i can remember). Apple took ages to move over to proper Intel processors where everyone else was at already. Fact of the matter is, YES the iphone and this app did its job in letting you 'monitor' your home, but the very concept and functionality of the app is a bit rediculous in the first place. Get a proper alarm system like BT Redcare (UK).

...and while you are at it get flood insurance, hurricane insurance, pet insurance, a personal bodygaurd and an anti tank rocket.. just in case..

This family obviously didnt think something bad would happen so didnt want to spend a while lot of money on a solution. I would have to say that the app & cam worked in the way that the user wanted. What more did you want? what more did you expect? It was never proposed as an anti-burglary device after all so I think we can stop any apple hate (since this could have been any smartphone nowdays.)

Conner Macleod

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2010
[citation][nom]jerreece[/nom]Was going to let the first typo go, but then the second one came in the very next sentence.[/citation]

Technically the 2nd error is grammatical which is different from a typographical error:)

[citation]Squiggs77
So did they take anything? Or did the cops pulling up alert them and they took off? If they ran because the cops were coming then this worked pretty good. The article doesn't really need to have 'iPhone' in the title. This could have been done with many different smart phones.[/citation]

If you read the article it answers your questions...

On topic, I find all the hate somewhat puzzling, I mean yes I know that Steve Jobs says/does a lot of stupid/evil things and the new iPhone is pretty bad, but in this particular instance the app in question worked as it should and it helped this guy protect his home so objectively speaking there's nothing that justifies a disparaging remark on that basis alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.