Man Who Tweeted Airport Bomb Hoax is Charged

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

helevole

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
[citation][nom]djackson_dba[/nom]"Does he have the knowledge and the means to carry out such a threat."Could you possibly know this without detaining and questioning the guy?[/citation]

If you´d have just read the last sentence of the comment too, you could have saved us all the energy wasted by reading your post.

G

Very dumb from his part but whilst Islamic scholars have forbidden Muslim travellers from passing through full body scans at airports because they violate religious rules on nudity.

kravmaga

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2009
[citation][nom]DearSX[/nom]I think most people here are overeating and don't appreciate or understand human rights and lack compassion and integrity. No one has a right to tell another what they can and can't say, imo. I understand retaining someone for crying wolf, but that does not mean I'm right and they are wrong. It means I'm afraid and choose to take anothers freedom for my own selfish life style. I'm willing to live with that, but I also accept that I'm hurting another to get my way.[/citation]

The thing is, nowadays there are places and times where some specific permutation of words can not only inconvenience but also harm people due to the circumstances we live with and due to human nature, there'll always be assholes looking for a loophole to do just that, inconvenience or harm people.
This guy was teetering on that fine line.
I'm all for being able to say what's on your mind but everyone needs to realize the consequences of yelling fire in a crowded mall or publicly announcing a bombing at an airport to everybody, not just yourself.

djackson_dba

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
[citation][nom]helevole[/nom]If you´d have just read the last sentence of the comment too, you could have saved us all the energy wasted by reading your post.[/citation]
The implication was that someone could know he had the knowledge and means to carry out the threat. Unless you are psychic, you could not know unless you investigated. I do apologize for those who require so much energy for the 11 word question I posted.

helevole

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
[citation][nom]djackson_dba[/nom]The implication was that someone could know he had the knowledge and means to carry out the threat. Unless you are psychic, you could not know unless you investigated. I do apologize for those who require so much energy for the 11 word question I posted.[/citation]

all i mean is that briapro (the original poster) didnt say that they shouldnt have arrested him. i think what he wanted to express was, that, once they determined the unserious nature of the whole incident, the right thing to do would have been to fine or officially warn him and not pursue this sillyness further... and i kinda agree with him on this.

briapro

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2001
[citation][nom]helevole[/nom]all i mean is that briapro (the original poster) didnt say that they shouldnt have arrested him. i think what he wanted to express was, that, once they determined the unserious nature of the whole incident, the right thing to do would have been to fine or officially warn him and not pursue this sillyness further... and i kinda agree with him on this.[/citation]

Well put.

helevole

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
[citation][nom]g00ey[/nom]Terrorism is a government invention to lead the attention off of other bigger problems such as the deteriorating economy.[/citation]

thats just crazytalk, i guess. terrorists do exist and they do pose a threat (thankgod i dont live near anything or anyone worth targeting). of course the fact that these shameful acts of violence are exploited by the powers-to-be for their own purposes doesnt help much either :-(

briapro

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2001
Think about it. The guy wanted to get to Ireland for a holiday. He's going to blow up the airport because he can't go on holiday? How many terrorists that frivolous have you ever heard of? OK, even if you accept the proposition, airports are kind of big places to blow up, he's got to have some explosives right? Even to blow up a small part he's got to have a small amount of explosives. Also if this was a real threat, unless the airport had subscribed to his twitter account(!) how would they have possibly received this threat? For a threat to be effective it has to reach get the attention of someone who could actually do something about it.

The point is not if he made the threat or not but whether he was the least bit serious about carrying it out. If you want to prosecute every idle threat you are going to be diverting precious resources away from real threats. Not to mention destroying innocent peoples lives.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]insider3[/nom]How did everyone else reading this article catch on to the sarcasm in that tweet except the police?[/citation]
Sarcasm or not, somethings you do not do or say in or about public places and saying you will blow it up is one. It can cause hysteria in people endangering lives if it gets out, a person is smart, a group of average people tend to work in a pack mentality and don't think completely rationally, add the fear of death and things can go bad fast.

Maxor127

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
Meh... I was expecting something more significant. I think it's dumb that he was charged just for making a vague threat like that. There isn't even a mention of a bomb. You can tell it's exaggerated and not meant to be taken seriously. People say things like that and worse all the time. May as well start arresting and charging people in online games that make rape threats and say other stupid shit.

Maxor127

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
I'll also add that I can understand if an investigation was made. Only reason anyone should be charged for something like that is if there's evidence that the threat was serious.

ossie

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2008
[citation][nom]Hupiscratch[/nom]Idiot. He's lucky the bomb explosions that happened on London's subway stations are a bit cold now, otherwise police wouldn't treat him so lightly.[/citation]
How lucky that Visor Consultants (in bed with coppers and authorities) was doing "terrorist bombing exercises" at the same locations and times, like the "original" thing. How stupid can you be to believe in such "coincidences"?
[citation][nom]logitic[/nom]Bah the Terrorist win every time something stupid like this happens. For the love of God use some common sense next time![/citation]
Right, AlCIAda wins...
The "modern" society is so dumbed down, that it is terrorized by whatever modern "terror" the authorities deem fashionable: from pedophiles to bombs (oops, the dreaded taboo word), pandemics, global warming, or whatever stirs up the idiot's hysteria, to give up more rights and liberties to the big brother/nanny state authorities.

Panem et Circenses

randomizer

Distinguished
[citation][nom]djackson_dba[/nom]DearSX,Your rights should not be used to deprive others of their rights.[/citation]

So Paul is deprived of his rights in order to prevent him depriving someone else of their rights... Don't you see? Someone will always be deprived of their rights. And if the Government has their way, it's everyone except them.

[citation][nom]helevole[/nom]thats just crazytalk, i guess. terrorists do exist and they do pose a threat[/citation]
Do you believe Osama bin Ladan still exists?

djackson_dba

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
[citation][nom]randomizer[/nom]So Paul is deprived of his rights in order to prevent him depriving someone else of their rights... Don't you see? Someone will always be deprived of their rights. And if the Government has their way, it's everyone except them.citation]
Your rights are not unlimited. They never have been. You do not have the right do do harm onto others. That is as it should be. Paul was not deprived of his rights. Paul broke the law. Paul was arrested according to the law. Issuing bomb/fire threats is not protected speech in the States or any other country that I'm aware of and it has been law in the States since the late 1800's if I remember correctly. It is not a recent decision and it has held up this entire time. If you feel it is truly unconstitutional and that you should be able to disrupt the lives of others using any medium you please, then become a test case and have it go before the courts.

My statement is an intregal part in the balance of law and personal rights. You have the right to express your opinion, but spreading lies and damaging the quality of someone else's life is not permitted.

You have the right to wander almost anywhere you like but you do not have the right to camp in my back yard or enter my house without permission.

You do not have the right to drive as fast as you please on public roads.

Those are examples where your rights do not supercede the rights of others.

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
What he did was basically go into the middle of a crowded mall and saying he would blow up the airport if his flight got delayed. The internet is a public forum.

I would love to see the people posting on here saying his rights were taken way blah blah blah, to say what he did in the middle of a airport. Nah, let's take it all the way, do it on a plane.

If you say that's different you're a hypocrite.

Status
Not open for further replies.