Mark Zuckerberg is TIME's 2010 POTY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bert R

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2009
My first reaction was something to the effect of, "Well, f***. Let's give the jerk a Nobel Prize and get it over with." But, after thinking it through, I do have to admit that he has completely revolutionized the way people use the internet. Maybe not single-handedly, as he would like us to believe, but I guess he is rather influential. But he is still a complete jerk. Jerk face.

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
People were treating MySpace like they're treating Facebook right now just a few years ago, now MySpace has to attach themselves to Facebook just to stay afloat.

He's the person of this year, let's see where he is in a few years.

chickenhoagie

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
I don't believe myspace was ever as popular as facebook is now..but I do believe its a fad just like all other social tools are and won't last for eternity. He got lucky and built the perfect social networking tool for our decade, it happens. He used his luck well though, so I give him props for some of the things that he has done. We'd like to think he didn't deserve the reward, but he most obviously did.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
good for him. donating his money i think was a very nice move, whether it was a public stunt or not

i'll be impressed if facebook is around in 10 years

melvis72

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2009
I can't belive this, he is a tool!!! So he turn a bunch of people into mindless social zombies, the only thing good he's done is donate money to try and make up for the bad of Facebook.

kkiddu

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2009
Whatever happened to people's choice ? Julian Assange got 382,000 votes and this dude got what...20000 votes ?

And he's not doing something half as noble as Assange, is he ?

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
Oh TIME, how low have you gone? How much cash did you receive to put Zuckerberg as your POTY? Someone who's not even relevant to the running of the world...

shoelessinsight

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2009
I don't care for Facebook, and it certainly wasn't the first of its kind, but I still have to give Zuckerberg some credit. Whatever it was that he did differently for Facebook than was done for previous social networks, it worked, and it has reached the general public in a way that few other technologies have.

Furthermore, I don't know of anything particularly immoral or unethical that he has done with his position, and he has donated and pledged quite a bit more of his money to charity and schools than most people of similar wealth.

There are definitely many others who are deserving of this title, but I see no issue with Zuckerberg winning it for this year.

lejay

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2009
lol. Sounds like times watched the social network too much... The guy is not as smart as he is portrayed in that movie.

normano

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010
not smart? tool? jerk?

where do you people get off??

Number One: you don't know the guy so you cannot make such judgements.

Number Two: your attitudes smack of jealousy

he saw an opportunity and took it - you would have done the same.

Some people make me sick.

G

So let me get this straight, Zuckerberg is POTY because he's famous? Why not just make Paris Hilton or the Kardashians POTY? I mean hell thats all our society has come down to these days, famous for being famous. There is really nothing interesting about Mark, and he has really done nothing unique or influential for the world. People login to facebook to write half sentence blurbs about how drunk they are or whaver stupid fleeting thought is passing through their heads at that moment. It's narcissism for lazy people who cant type more than 10 words. I really fail to see whats so special about facebook that any other site wouldnt already be doing without them.

Some kid rips off website. Makes billions selling out his members to corporate advertisers. Becomes youngest billionaire. Suddenly he's most interesting person on the planet? Um, no.

yardpup01

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2010
[citation][nom]MarkZuckerberg[/nom]So let me get this straight, Zuckerberg is POTY because he's famous? Why not just make Paris Hilton or the Kardashians POTY? I mean hell thats all our society has come down to these days, famous for being famous.[/citation]

It's not about popularity, it's about influence. While not everyone uses Facebook, it has started a revolution of sorts. Don't believe me? Look at all the news networks asking for "your" opinion through media like Twitter. Twitter wouldn't be around if Facebook hadn't succeeded. And remember, it doesn't have to be positive influence. Hitler was MOTY in 1938, not because he was popular. Not because he was good. He was MOTY because he had most affected the events of the previous year.

bv90andy

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
This is total BS. Zuckerberg may have created facebook and he may have "influenced" the life of some people, but COME ON. I bet half of those 500 million "users" are just like me, they made one just to see what all the fuss was about and, from time to time, accept a "friend" request that drops into the mail box and that's that. You can't say that's "influencing" me.
Compare that to what Assange is doing, ha and his website have completely changed the relations between most of the countries in the world and everyday we find out new things about how the US gov. is treating other governments.

guruofchem

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2006
This has now become as much, if not more, of a joke than the Nobel Peace Prize. Does not speak well of 2010 if this clown is the best Time could come up with...

Status
Not open for further replies.