Mark Zuckerberg is Worth More Than Steve Jobs

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dconnors

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2009
[citation][nom]scook9[/nom]"The pirates of silicon valley" does not paint Jobs in a good image either.[/citation]

Agreed. However, Jobs pulls some sort of stunt every few weeks that portrays him in a negative light, like tearing down some random journalism student from Long Island.

-Devin

G

I'll get marked down for this, but I can't resist. I do love watching these whiney debates/slanging matches about Facebook and how pointless it is.

Appreciate Facebook or not, the fact remains that half a billion people do - and that's a pretty large statistic. I don't particularly see the point of Twitter, but I don't whine on about it like a child every time a Twitter related news post appears, based on the fact that I don't understand or use it.

The whole privacy argument is a non-issue in my opinion too. If there is genuinely something about your life that anybody shouldn't see (even if just one person), don't put it online - hardly rocket science. I think Facebook's privacy tools have always been adequate (if not brilliant) at maintaining basic privacy, and anything that requires more sophisticated privacy probably shouldn't be there in the first place.

Zuckerberg; At the end of the day, he's a businessman. I've yet to come across a successful businessman who hasn't acted like a complete asshole at some point in his career. Steve Jobs wrote the book on it, and Bill Gates has had his moments (although rather generous these days).

alyoshka

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
For all the people wondering how is it "www.facebook.com" making so much money..... let me drop a hint.....
It's a database of photographs, places people visit, phone numbers(Cell numbers), faces, family members etc etc.
I know, a 100 people, agencies, govt and corp who'd be paying (Taxpayers Money) to Mark, to be able to access it.
Has everyone forgotten the database leak on facebook??
Plus , all new cell phones are rigged with a application for facebook, guess who's going to be using it to track what and who.....
Yeah, people pay for information, especially if it's all in one place , it saves the hassel of going to 50 different organizations to get a whole character print or habit outline of a person, doesn't it?

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]abear007[/nom]What I find is that, there are always ways to justify an action. Anything that we do now may have an immediate out come, but what's the long term effects? We are all too fast to opinionated anything that moves or it doesn't move. Hence cynicism sales, in a very big way, just look at how much spam mail you are complaining about... Mac users only account for about 10% of the whole PC market. Apple has been giving away computers to schools for years, if they are really trying to make kids get use MacOS and nothing else. They failed!Yet, they are continuing the efforts, and the agenda behind it is really up to the audience to decide. The exposure of computers to educate and enlighten both you and I to have a civil conversation, regardless of the platform, can be a pretty important one.....[/citation]

i hated every minute of using a mac, the key is to get them to use it for a long time before they use a real computer.

that said. i actually stopped talking to a friend in real life, not just online because all he would talk about is his damn mac and how much easier it is. this is a person who modded his xbox (both mod chip and actually modding the case to be many times more awesome) and built his own computer. he went to collage graduated, and out came a mac douchebag.

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
To all those who hate Facebook: Maybe it's time you got out and saw the world.

To those who love Facebook, you understand that when you move growing up sometimes the only way to reconnect with someone you once knew and see how their life played out is to go on a site like Facebook. It's an up-to-date high school yearbook for many. It's a great way to reconnect with old friends and plan a trip to see them.

toallthehaters

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2010
Distanted, ok I see your point and we are on the same page. I agree it is a business move and in more than one regard. A lot of times companies do this for tax reasons. Or they feel like they actually do have to much and simply want to give back. We won't ever know the true reason.

Griffolion

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
While i understand that Mark may have gave $100m to schools not necessarily out of the goodness of his heart, im sure those schools would still have the money from a guy possibly looking for some publicity rather than no money from a guy being brutally honest with himself on his motivations. Same for the donating of Macs with Steve Jobs, regardless of the motives, those Macs will have been appreciated and put to good use.

tommysch

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
[citation][nom]Ragnar-Kon[/nom]Might be one of the few times I wish Jobs won.Not a big fan of Jobs, but definitely do not like Zuckerburg.Not defending Jobs or anything, but he have California school hundreds of computers last year.[/citation]

Thats market penetration, get them young. Im not saying MS doesnt do it either.

Titanius

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2007
It doesn't surprise me that Zuckerberg is filthy rich, Facebook is an information cow, there are people posting sensitive information on there that they think is protected, well guess what, it ain't from Facebook, because they "own everything that you put on there". So take that information, sell it to the highest bidder, or use it for yourself and bingo, you made your first billion in no time at all. Why do you think I don't have an account...

bildo123

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2007
[citation][nom]distanted[/nom]Making sure children grow up conditioned to your OS doesn't really seem like charity to me...it sounds more like training future customers...[/citation]

The tin foil hattery is strong in this one...Seriously you can tin foil hat anything. Just like how "it is what it is" answers 90% of all questions. Regardless, that picture is priceless and awesome. I myself don't use Wastebook, but I may honestly say I have better things to do, like Youtube...sleeping...playing board games...ya know, just regular living.

Silmarunya

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
My 2 cents on that 'is giving computers with your own OS away a good deed or an investment':

Every time a company or related person gives something to charity, it's either to polish a company's image or to introduce users to their product. I agree with distanted on that...

On the other hand, I'd rather receive a Mac than not getting one. Okay, the giver's motivation isn't exactly a charitable one, but something is better than nothing. However, when people don't realise why they receive such a shiny gift, they simply become slaves that are used to the OS they were given and learnt to work with. Take anything you're given, but make certain you understand why they give it to you. If you do that, it's just a nice present.

borisof007

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
[citation][nom]Ragnar-Kon[/nom]Not defending Jobs or anything, but he gave California school hundreds of computers last year.[/citation]

Hundreds of Apple computers.... so $30,000,000,000?

G

[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]i actually stopped talking to a friend in real life, not just online because all he would talk about is his damn mac and how much easier it is.[/citation]

Pretty typical of Mac users, to be fair. I haven't come across a Mac user yet who hasn't spent 3 hours fruitlessly trying to debate with me about how Macs are the solution to everything.

C00lIT

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2009
I don't see why so many people hate facebook... sure there are some insane addicts but hell it's just a social networking site.

It's useful to keep in touch with ex co-workers, highschool buddies and so on... perhaps you write to them once a freaking year or so... at least you can reach that person if you wanted to.

It's not a bad tool... it is what you make of it...

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
Overpriced and overvalued "fad", much like Apple.

Meanwhile, corporations that actually make a difference in people's lives are rarely appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.