Mars Rover Receives AI, Thinks for Itself

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parsian

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2007
this program is the best example why human space mission for exploration is utter waste of resources... I am not against human space missions, but a lot scientific analysis can be done without the involvement of human

Lan

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2004
They only expected it to live around around 6 months to a year I believe. I watched a show on it that was pretty cool actually.

G

I'd hate mars too..

http://www.theonion.com/articles/mars-rover-beginning-to-hate-mars,2072/

G

"I have to sit here computing pi all day because Joker plugged in the overlord!"

ravewulf

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]footsoldier[/nom]Maybe the reason it can last so long is some aliens recharging its battery n fixing it![/citation]
Or solar panels

climber

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009
JPL expected three months, hoped for a little over six months, the got a bigger bang for their buck than they expected. See, the program cost around $780 million, I think, at the time they were lauched, but they didn't do, "cheaper, quicker, faster", they did it right, dual rovers, in case one failed, put in lots of technology that allowed them to utilized the tech a decade past the launch date even though they never expected them to last that long, even in their wildest dreams.

Shadow703793

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2007
More impressive is the actual hardware (CPU,RAM,etc) on that thing is probably lower than a PIII 500Mhz and yet, they manage to cram so much functionality in to it. Efficient coding any one?

victomofreality

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009
we give it ai and run it till we think it dies then get up there 20 years later and it's built a little city lol.

I think this is a great idea in all seriousness. Anything we can do to increase our knowledge of the universe around us but we will need manned missions eventually there are some things we just can't do with robots.

Status
Not open for further replies.