Mass Effect 3 Drama to be Cleared with "Extended Cut" DLC

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]accepting gamer[/nom]I believe all the "fans" should just have accepted the endings as similar as they may be, just because of the outcome of shepard not being what they wanted. Poor them!!. Accept that the creators of this game have their vision of THEIR game!. You just play it!. Ever think that regardless of certain holes, all the outcomes hint to moving on with another character!!. Anyone, anyone?. No, they all just bitches and complained about it not thinking where the future of this series could go now. I don't consider those whiners "fans".[/citation]

You're everything that is wrong with humanity. Mindlessly allowing corporations to screw you over.

They lied about the endings, they said our choices would matter, they said there would be "happy ending" that was hard to achieve but possible, etc.

ALL LIES!

Raid3r

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
Well, I think they have done the next best thing. Created an endless paradox that will keep you guys running in circles. Never getting what strange unreachable thing each and everyone one of you think is right.

nitrium

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2009
SPOILERS: The Indoctrination Theory makes sense UNTIL you see the Mass Effect Relays exploding, the Normandy crashing, and the old man and child - the black indoctrination tendrils aren't present for these scenes, so it's clearly not a dream - and why would Sheperd's indoctrination involve those scenes anyway? IMO The Indoctrination Theory only works to a point, and definitely doesn't fit for the final cutscenes.

magnetite

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2008
Shepard is found on Earth, not aboard the Citadel when the relays blow (5000 EMS required) to see this. If your EMS isn't high enough, you don't see him buried in rubble waking up.

nitrium

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2009
Shepard is found on Earth, not aboard the Citadel when the relays blow (5000 EMS required) to see this. If your EMS isn't high enough, you don't see him buried in rubble waking up
You mean "you don't see her buried in the rubble ;-). Anyway, I have seen that ending on YouTube, and indeed you DON'T get that scene unless you choose to destroy the reapers. But that still DOES NOT explain the cutscenes I listed above. There is no explanation for them (they make absolutely ZERO sense), and they DO NOT fit with the Indoctrination Theory.

magnetite

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2008
The N7 badge is a dead give away. Those are for Spectres. As far as we're concerned, Shepard is the only human spectre. Kaidan or Ashley are given the choice to become Spectres, but have to accept the offer.

aviral

Honorable
Mar 11, 2012
Its really nice to here that at least the company is changing the end of the Mass Effect 3 because I too was shocked after seeing the end.Lets hope that it will be a better one with a little sensible ending.

shin0bi272

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
[citation][nom]gncd[/nom]going to be a nerd here, but those cannons can only take down the smaller reapers. won't do much against sovereign class reapers.[/citation]
They are the same weapons that the reapers use so since the only ones that are actually sentient are the destroyers and sovereign class Im pretty sure we could actually fight back and win with enough hits from their own guns. Remember these are the guns that took out the collector ship in 2 hits. And if you look at the size of the collector ship on horizon its about the same size as a reaper. Plus as you discover while playing through ME3 is weak in the back while its charging its main gun... so we just team up (wingman style) and fire once at it to get its attention and then when it charges you shoot it in the back with another ship. Not impossible but yes you will lose ships... but considering the 3 alternatives its a better ending.

Also I like how I got 2 upvotes for my idea of fighting back but 2 down votes for noting that several races already have the thanix cannon and we wouldnt have to upgrade as much as I originally antcipated... you people confuse the hell out of me sometimes.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]amk-aka-Phantom[/nom]Actually, the indoctrination theory can be dismissed at this point. BioWare clearly said they won't change the existing ending. Take a look.[/citation]

however the current ending still supports the indoctranation theory, and here, this is the ending bit
go to 21:50
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gssML_aVmk

you also have to take into account the possibility they have yet to give us an ending, so there so far is nothing to change... im of the belief that they with held the ending at eas request to curb 2nd hand sales for a while, and that we still arent getting a real ending, its just explaining it to us, the situation, better than it did in the game currently...

given that many of biowares fans are considering completely writing the company off at this point (their games sense eq aquired them have been... well... VERY subpar) , they would be really stupid to not go indoctrination, even if it wasnt there origional plan.

here is a possible real spoiler...

Shepard is dealing with the effects of indoctrination, and if he chooses green or blue, he is fully indoctrinated, and if he chooses red, he regains his humanity, however, due to massive injury, is only able to listen in on radio (whatever it is) about the fleets ultimate demise, it doesn't matter what you do you are completely screwed.

i don't care how the ending goes, so long as they take that last what, sense the beam hits you and does away with it entirely, and they could do that, without changing the ending at all.

balister

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2006
[citation][nom]magnetite[/nom]The N7 badge is a dead give away. Those are for Spectres. As far as we're concerned, Shepard is the only human spectre. Kaidan or Ashley are given the choice to become Spectres, but have to accept the offer.[/citation]

N7 is an Earth designation. Please read up on the codex about the N program (1 through 7). The N program is ME's version of the SEAL/Delta/SpecOps training for Humans. It has 0 to do with being a SpecTRe (non-Human SpecTRes did not have N designation).

nitrium

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2009
however the current ending still supports the indoctranation theory, and here, this is the ending bit
go to 21:50
Disagree. The Indoctrination Theory does not explain the Mass Effect relays exploding (stranding millions in the Solar System), the Normandy crashing (with some of your current party that were with you in the final push on board), or the old man and child. There nothing EA can do that can fix what we see in those last three cutscenes, except getting rid of them altogether.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]nitrium[/nom]Disagree. The Indoctrination Theory does not explain the Mass Effect relays exploding (stranding millions in the Solar System), the Normandy crashing (with some of your current party that were with you in the final push on board), or the old man and child. There nothing EA can do that can fix what we see in those last three cutscenes, except getting rid of them altogether.[/citation]

um... do you even know what the indoc theory is?
basically the whole last section of the game after the beam is all inside shepards head.

that last breath on what looks to be earth, is still supporting the theory.

nitrium

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2009
um... do you even know what the indoc theory is?
basically the whole last section of the game after the beam is all inside shepards head.
I sure do. And it does perfectly explain the whole scene up to and including where Shepherd has to make one of three choices. But AFTER that, we see three scenes: Mass Effect Relays exploding (REGARDLESS of choice), Normandy crashing (REGARDLESS of choice), and Old Man and child (REGARDLESS of choice). The tell-taleblack indoctrination tendrils from the earlier scene are NOT present during any of those cut-scenes. Assuming the Destroy Reapers option BROKE the indoctrination (it is the ONLY choice that results in the Shepherd Breathing Scene), why do we STILL see the three cut-scenes listed above. Why would Shepherd's Indoctrination (which presumably FAILS if he/she chooses Destroy Reapers) include the Normandy crashing afterwards? Explain, please, I'm dying to hear it.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]nitrium[/nom]I sure do. And it does perfectly explain the whole scene up to and including where Shepherd has to make one of three choices. But AFTER that, we see three scenes: Mass Effect Relays exploding (REGARDLESS of choice), Normandy crashing (REGARDLESS of choice), and Old Man and child (REGARDLESS of choice). The tell-taleblack indoctrination tendrils from the earlier scene are NOT present during any of those cut-scenes. Assuming the Destroy Reapers option BROKE the indoctrination (it is the ONLY choice that results in the Shepherd Breathing Scene), why do we STILL see the three cut-scenes listed above. Why would Shepherd's Indoctrination (which presumably FAILS if he/she chooses Destroy Reapers) include the Normandy crashing afterwards? Explain, please, I'm dying to hear it.[/citation]

now correct me if i'm wrong, but depending on what you chose, squad mates you have with you magic themselves on board the ship...

do you have any idea how... well i cant say the words here due to sanctions for them and what not, but how mad we would be, collectively if we weren't given an ending AT ALL.

im of the believe that ea decided to try out a new ploy at curbing used game sales, this time in a game whos only real value is the single player... you think shale was good enough to entice people away from a used dragon age? think of it this way, the moment the game is over, THE MOMENT, you get a stay tuned for dlc.

http://cdn2.gamefront.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/mass-effect-dlc-message-2.jpg

i do believe that is the ending message. people to hold onto the game for more dlc... i believe its fully possible for ea to decide that the best way to make gamers keep the game is to hold off on the ending, giving them a bad end... not bad in the sense that shepard dies, but bad in the way of plot holes, inconsistencies, and just plain how the hell did that happen...

i mean this is ea we are talking about, a company that got so greedy that they got kicked off of steam, a company that pioneered the online pass...

now this part could be speculation, but for the final cutsceens not showing the tendrils as you put it, you can take it like this, shepard more or less is dead if he is indoctrinated all the way, and if he breaks it, he still had MASSIVE injuries, a near death experience isn't out of the question, knowing people who have had that, they see what is comforting to them, in shepards case, reapers going away, and the ones he cared about live. i believe that we can assume that, or and if ea cut the ending this is more probable, something needed to be put there, and it was a rush job and possible they missed that part.

now you also have to take into account that they said no one starves to death, which if the relays blew up and reapers are gone, is impossible for that not to happen, unless they have more deus ex machina, so in that case, i believe a

shepard was indoctrinated -> suffered it all this game -> heavily injured fights the final stage of indoctrination in which you reach a cross roads, blue and green you lose your humanity and pass on with happy thoughts, with red you regain your humanity, but after sustaining such heavy injuries, you are only left to hear as the reapers destroy all you know, an inevitable, unavoidable, end.

and just so you know, i am willing to write bioware off as a company depending on how this all turns out... bioware, a company i had such faith in to the point i would blindly get a collectors edition of their games if offered. with dragon age 2, and now the last two mass effects (mass effect 2 for the lesser rpg elements, and a more focus on combat, a move i didn't like, and mass effect 3 for the storys conclusion) i either see eas influence showing, or i see a company i liked fall from grace.

GNCD

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2009
[citation][nom]nitrium[/nom]Disagree. The Indoctrination Theory does not explain the Mass Effect relays exploding (stranding millions in the Solar System), the Normandy crashing (with some of your current party that were with you in the final push on board), or the old man and child. There nothing EA can do that can fix what we see in those last three cutscenes, except getting rid of them altogether.[/citation]

indoc theory states that everything that happened after getting hit by harbinger is happening in shepard's head. basically harbinger trying to indoctrinate him. i found it weird that shepard was standing out in open space without a helmet. there are a lot of inconsistencies in those last minutes that might prove that this theory is true. as for the old man and the child, it is a fast forward to the future. in that age, shepard is a legend. i find that awesome.

nitrium

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2009
indoc theory states that everything that happened after getting hit by harbinger is happening in shepard's head. basically harbinger trying to indoctrinate him. i found it weird that shepard was standing out in open space without a helmet.
I fail to see why Shepherd's indoctrination would involve those three cutscenes. Why would the Reapers show Shepherd that? Why is the black indoctrination effect from the side of the screen not present in those scenes?
there are a lot of inconsistencies in those last minutes that might prove that this theory is true. as for the old man and the child, it is a fast forward to the future. in that age, shepard is a legend. i find that awesome.
If Shepherd is successfully indoctrinated (which he/she is for at least two of the choices), WHY on Earth would he/she be seen as a Legend??? Shepherd would be the most hated person in the Galaxy. Presumably after being indoctrinated, Shepherd will go on to reek untold havoc as the Reapers minion, just like Saren and The Illusive Man!

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]nitrium[/nom]I fail to see why Shepherd's indoctrination would involve those three cutscenes. Why would the Reapers show Shepherd that? Why is the black indoctrination effect from the side of the screen not present in those scenes?If Shepherd is successfully indoctrinated (which he/she is for at least two of the choices), WHY on Earth would he/she be seen as a Legend??? Shepherd would be the most hated person in the Galaxy. Presumably after being indoctrinated, Shepherd will go on to reek untold havoc as the Reapers minion, just like Saren and The Illusive Man![/citation]

you are still failing to take into account the real possibility that ea, a company so greedy it got kicked off of steam, a platform that even activision can play nice on, cut out a significant portion of the ending and the team had to do a rush job to patch things up.

now lets assume that what i said, the fight is futile, you loose no matter what, well... haw did they know of the prothians, im assuming that a great deal of the legend was just though bits and pieces that they acquired.

so far, the only theory for the game that would tie everything together in a satisfying way would be the indoc theory, mixed with a futile effort, and it doesn't throw out the current endings and no one starves.

nitrium

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2009
so far, the only theory for the game that would tie everything together in a satisfying way would be the indoc theory, mixed with a futile effort, and it doesn't throw out the current endings and no one starves.
You know, that is actually a great idea for ME4, 5 and 6. We take control of a new commander, this time to FIGHT the now evil indoctrinated Shepherd and finally defeat the Reapers once and for all! I should send that to EA.

Status
Not open for further replies.